Hertfordshire youngsters storm to national badminton title
- Credit: HERTS BADMINTON
A squad of talented youngsters from across Hertfordshire has claimed a national badminton title.
The U15s took the top honours in the National County Championship, an event which brings counties from across England with each match the best of 20 games.
And after battling through a regional competition, Herts found themselves in the knockout finals with seven other teams, held at Derby Arena.
Seeded second behind Berkshire, Herts beat Nottinghamshire 18-2 in the quarter-finals before repeating the score in the semi-final against Surrey.
It set up a battle of the top seeds in the final, although only just as Berkshire needed to be separated against Yorkshire in the other semi on points difference after a 10-10 draw.
But Hertfordshire, who train at Herts Sports Village in Hatfield, remained unstoppable, claiming the title after the singles and the mixed doubles before eventually closing out a 17-3 success.
Hertfordshire U15s: Jaxon Clarke (Hertford), Chenara De Silva (Letchworth), Aayushi Dhelaria (Hatfield), Aditi Dhelaria (Hatfield), Jeff Ani Joseph (Stevenage), Johan Joseph (Watford), Dev Mathur (Hatfield), Hanson Shinghei Sy (St Albans), Anna Stewart (Welwyn), Saghana Thayaparan (Letchworth).
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 3 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 4 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 5 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
Coaches: Mike Newlove, Kelly Matthews, Graeme Clarke.