Can you guess who finished third in previous World Cups?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s the fixture that no team wants to play, and that nobody remembers, but do you know who won the third place play-off game in previous World Cups?
As much as they won’t want to, two sides will have to kick off at the Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg on July 14.
In 2014, Dutch manager Louis Van Gaal shared his views on the tie: “I think this match should never be played.
“I’ve been saying that for 10 years. We’ll have to play that match. It’s unfair - we have one day less to recover than our opponents, too, so that’s not fair play.
“The worst thing is I believe that, chances are, you lose twice in a row and a tournament where you’ve played so marvellously well you’ll leave as a loser after losing the last two matches.
“That’s my view, but I said that 15 years ago, 10 years ago. In a tournament, you shouldn’t have players play a match for third or fourth place. There’s only one award that counts, and that’s being world champion.”
- 1 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 4 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 5 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 6 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 7 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 8 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 9 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week