Hat-trick of national finals for Riverain
Riverain Bowls Club have reached the national finals in three separate events. The area finals at the weekend saw them qualify in the father and son competition, as well as the national mixed pairs and fours. The national finals will be held during the se
Riverain Bowls Club have reached the national finals in three separate events.
The area finals at the weekend saw them qualify in the father and son competition, as well as the national mixed pairs and fours.
The national finals will be held during the second week of February at Northampton Bowls Club.
Father and son competition: Mick O'flanagan and son Ryan O'flanagan beat the Watford pair Martin Cole and son Michael Cole by 22 shots (25-3).
National mixed pairs: Darren Hickin and Muriel Saunders beat the Lawson Park pair Mark Tompkins and Cath Thompson by 10 shots (21-11).
National mixed fours: Heather Stapleford, Shirley Page, Matin Brackley and skip Tony Webb beat the Watford mixed four of Carol Brown, Brenda Bennion, Paul Murray and skip Martin Coles by seven shots (24-17).
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 4 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 5 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 6 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 9 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
The teams of Enid Newman, Barbara Turner, Shay Mumford and skip Jenny Ralph, together with Susan Richardson, Pat Goodwin, Muriel Saunders and skip Gill Calver lost by 11 shots (35-46) to Cheshunt in the ladies' county league.
Riverain went down by nine shots (76-85) to Watford in the London and Southern Counties competition.
The home teams of Syd Apps, Alan Cross, Matt Coppen and skip Darren Hickin, together with Terry Godden, Brain Leadley, Mick Cave and skip Martin Brackkley, lost by nine shots (35-44).
The away teams of Jack Cawdell, Robert Ashby, Graham Albone and skip Jim Allen, together with Mick Allen, Ian Perton, Tom Cawdell and skip Tony Webb, drew (41-41).
Riverain also won a midweek friendly against Beds VPs by 19 shots (117-98).
Skips names only: Dennis Eddington lost 11-23, Brian Mills won 31-7, Les Paersley won 25-13, Mick Hyde lost 16-20, Raymond Smith won 17-15, Doug Major lost 17-20.
The club had mixed fortunes in weekend friendlies against Luton and Paddington
They won by 20 shots (169-149) against Luton. Skips names only: Sam Skinner won 24-21, Mick Judd won 34-13, Tom Power lost 16-26, Bob Wells lost 12-21, Dave Webb won 20-15, Brian Mills won 28-12, Dave Betts drew 19-19, Ruby Avery lost 16-22.
But Riverain lost by 15 shots (113-128) to Paddington. Skips names only: Sam Skinner drew 21-21, Derek Clark lost 11-28, Diane Porter lost 14-24, Anne Graves lost 12-27, Pat Clark won 32-12, Steve Chamberlain won 23-16.
* Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC played their near neighbours from the old town.
In a tight match, the leisure centre emerged as winners by nine shots (79-70), winning on three rinks and losing on one.
Their highest rink (after taking ends won into account) was the team of Brian Gilbert (skip), Anne Higgs, Phylis Sproat and Muriel Cooper.
* Herts IBA thrashed London and Southern Counties in Saturday's match.
They won on all six rinks and by 117 shots (201-84) at Watford IBC.