Harts survive a shaky start

PUBLISHED: 10:39 19 January 2006 | UPDATED: 09:27 06 May 2010

Blueharts shared four goals and the points at the Essex boys from Havering. Harts were slow to start after the Christmas break and were completely outplayed in the first half and were lucky to only be a goal down. Constant mistakes after the break allowed

Blueharts shared four goals and the points at the Essex boys from Havering.

Harts were slow to start after the Christmas break and were completely outplayed in the first half and were lucky to only be a goal down.

Constant mistakes after the break allowed Havering to counter attack and score their second 10 minutes in.

Harts were reduced to 10 men after Jimmy Lewis' bad tackle earned him a yellow card and time in the sin bin. But they dug deep and began to dominate some of the game.

A brilliant run from John Barrett resulted in a short corner, which Oliver Hammond expertly converted.

Harts, now back to 11, started to create more scoring opportunities.

Ashley Hammond's fantastic stick work won another short corner.

Up stepped Colin Burnell to fire the ball high and right to bring the sides level with five minutes remaining.

This Saturday, Harts host top of the table Peterborough (midday pushback).

Phil Britton scored a hat-trick as the seconds beat league leaders Berkhamsted first team.

They conceded an early goal to trail at the break.

The equaliser soon materialised with Tim Price setting up Britton to score.

Andy Hicks and Ian Baxter combined well to set up Britton for a spectacular second before he made it three with a pinpoint strike.

Berkhamsted levelled but the seconds secured victory when Britton's run into the circle set up Baxter, who reacted quickly to send the ball high into the net.

Letchworth lost by the odd goal in three at Ramgharia.

It was an identical scoreline for the seconds as they lost at Upminster, Tom Butler scoring.

But they should have been awarded a penalty flick when an opponent threw his stick at skipper Nick Cole as he tried to get a shot in at goal.

The thirds went down 4-2 at Southgate Adelaide 2nds despite goals for Ashley Brown and Matthew Wade.

Goals from Ben Abbott and Tom McIntyre-Brown saw the fourths beat Broxbourne 5ths 2-0 and go top of the league.

Gary Pond converted a late penalty flick as the fifths shared the points with Welwyn GC 4ths, while the sixths were thrashed 7-0 by Winchmore Hill and Enfield 5ths.

Stevenage crashed to a heavy 6-1 home defeat against Bedford 2nds.

Bedford took the lead midway through the first half and managed to double their score before half time.

Stevenage started the new half well and their waves of attack were rewarded when John Oliver made a superb run to the line and cut back for brother Michael to finish.

Moments later, Stevenage looked to have earned a penalty stroke as John Oliver was fouled crudely from behind in the circle but only a short corner was awarded.

Bedford broke and scored a third and then broke again to score a fourth from a penalty with about 10 minutes to go.

Stevenage gave up the cause and two more Bedford goals made it a flattering scoreline for the visitors.

The seconds beat Cheshunt 1sts thanks to Gary Fung and Chris Strickland, while two goals for Khalid Mehmood and one by Terry Kingston helped the third team beat Cheshunt 2nds 3-0. Goals from Ian Brown and Seb Rose's late thunderbolt helped the fifths draw 2-2 at West Herts 6ths, while the sixths were beaten 5-0 by Southgate Adelaide 4ths.

MBDA had an excellent start to the second half of the season by putting three goals without reply past Winchmore Hill and Enfield 3rds.

Good passing in the midfield created an early chance for MBDA, with Ed Heinzelmann going forward to score his first goal for the team.

A second goal was added later in the half, this time by Paul Lawman following careful build-up play between defence and midfield.

In the second half, MBDA completed the victory with a third, again coming from Lawman, who shot from a pass that he looked to have over-run.

* Letchworth's old stagers made progress in the England HA Veterans' Cup.

They put in an excellent performance to draw 0-0 against Milton Keynes in the third round.

Having defeated Bedford in the second round on penalties, Letchworth did the same again by converting all their penalties with Milton Keynes missing just one of theirs thanks to a fine diving save from keeper Peter Hall.

Letchworth are likely to face even tougher opposition when the draw is made for the fourth round, which takes place on Sunday, February 12.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet