Great start by swimmers
Biggleswade s swimmers made a great start in the first round of the Beds county championships at the Saxon pool on Saturday. The Jordan s sponsored club picked up an amazing eight golds, six silvers and two bronzes from 13 age groups swims in just the 150
Biggleswade's swimmers made a great start in the first round of the Beds county championships at the Saxon pool on Saturday.
The Jordan's sponsored club picked up an amazing eight golds, six silvers and two bronzes from 13 age groups swims in just the 1500m event.
Harriet Brettle gained the county record for both the 1500m and 800m in just one swim.
She, like many of the other top Biggleswade swimmers, trains with the elite Mid Beds Swim Squad.
Aled Jones, who swam with the Mid Beds Squad until he went to university at Loughborough, swam 15:56.0 which ranks him third in the country.
Twenty-six Biggleswade swimmers took part in the 1500m night - the most swimmers entered from any one club in the county. Nearly all the swimmers achieved new bests for the distance.
- 1 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 2 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 3 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 4 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 5 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 6 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 9 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
- 10 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
Out of these swims, 22 qualified for the next level of competition at East Region and four qualified for national competition.
Chairman Nicholas Titley said: "The dedication to training all these swimmers have put in over the last year is showing in the results they are gaining.
"The close working relationship between the coaches in Biggleswade Swimming Club and Mid Beds Swim Squad shows that with aligned programmes, great things can be achieved."
Men's 11 years age group: 1st Caleb Hughes 18:09.1, 2nd George Lavallin 20:12.2, 4th Kane Farrell 20:45.4.
Men's 13 years age group: 1st Alex Raine 18:01.4, 5th Alasdair Kerr 19:53.6, 6th Christopher Davey 19:32.1.
Men's 14 years age group: 1st Christian Stokes 17:31.9, 2nd Josh Farrell 18:12.4, 3rd Adam Ingledew 18:30.2.
Men's 15/16 years age group: 1st Robert Baldrance 17:39.6.
Men's 17/18 years age group: 2nd Paul Titley 17:48.7.
Women's 11 years age group: 1st Shauna Lee 20:36.7.
Women's 12 years age group: 2nd Rachael Hollington 19:34.3.
Women's 13 years age group: 1st Alice Marchant 18:08.0, 2nd Yasmin Bithery 18:33.2, 4th Katie Tavener 19:23.8, 5th Charlotte McConnell 19:40.7, 7th Emma Jones, 19:53.1.
Women's 15 years age group: 1st Harriet Brettle 17:17.09 (1500m county record) 9:07.04 (800m county record), 2nd Micha Daher 19:07.8, 3rd Daniel Lee 19:13.1, 4th Sophie Thrussell 19:17.2, 7th Carmen Mallett 19:57.9.
Women's 16/17 years age group: 1st Louise King 18:58.9.