Grange take top spot
The young footballers from Grange Junior School in Letchworth GC have completed a notable double. After winning the Letchworth and District tournament for the first time, Grange went one better recently by winning the Hertfordshire seven-a-side competitio
The young footballers from Grange Junior School in Letchworth GC have completed a notable double.
After winning the Letchworth and District tournament for the first time, Grange went one better recently by winning the Hertfordshire seven-a-side competition at the Wilshere Dacre School in Hitchin.
Their achievement was even more impressive given that the majority of the squad had only returned on the Friday from an exhausting six-day residential trip.
In group matches, they won 1-0 and drew 1-1 before beating Little Heath 1-0 in the semi-final.
Grange dominated the final against De Havilland but were indebted to keeper Charlie Thake for a brilliant fingertip save near the end of normal time.
In extra time, Paul Morris rounded off a good move to score the winner - his fourth goal of the tournament.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
The boys look forward to representing Herts in the South East counties stage of this national tournament.
Pictured with teacher Richard Roberts are Charlie Thake, Sam Day, Luke Shimell (captain), Patrick Miller, Anthony Wright, Paul Morris and Jamie Murphy. Freddie Bogie was missing from the picture.