Grange is off to the nationals
Grange Junior School in Letchworth GC has qualified for a national seven-a-side football tournament. Representing Herts at the South Eastern regional finals on Saturday, Grange made it through to the final and thus qualify for the national tournament at K
Grange Junior School in Letchworth GC has qualified for a national seven-a-side football tournament.
Representing Herts at the South Eastern regional finals on Saturday, Grange made it through to the final and thus qualify for the national tournament at Keele University next month.
In sweltering conditions, the boys overcame some tough opposition.
After winning their first group match 2-1, the boys narrowly lost the next two games 1-0, before triumphing by the same scoreline in a crunch game against Longfield School from Middlesex.
You may also want to watch:
A resounding 5-0 victory in their final group match proved decisive as they qualified on goal difference.
Grange then defended superbly during a tense semi-final. After extra time had failed to separate the two teams, they won 3-1 on penalties, Charlie Thake saving three before scoring the decisive penalty himself.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
Having qualified for the national stages, both teams in the final played relaxed, entertaining football with Gisleham School winning by a single goal.
Grange's scorers were Kyle Males (two), Freddie Bogie (two), Paul Morris, Anthony Wright, Sam Day and Patrick Miller.
Luke Shimmell captained the team and Jamie Murphy provided many defence-splitting passes.