Grand display by the Blues
Dartford 1 Arlesey Town 0 More than a thousand fans watched the Blues give the league leaders a real game. Arlesey made their first visit to Dartford s new stadium that clearly has been built with a level of football in mind much higher than Ryman League
Dartford 1 Arlesey Town 0
More than a thousand fans watched the Blues give the league leaders a real game.
Arlesey made their first visit to Dartford's new stadium that clearly has been built with a level of football in mind much higher than Ryman League Division One North.
The league leaders watched by a crowd of 1,159 ended worthy winners by the narrowest of scorelines.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors played their part but were unable to break down the home team's rearguard.
And as they pushed forward in the later stages of the game in a desperate attempt to salvage a point, Dartford failed to take advantage of several opportunities to make the game safe.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 7 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Praise for hat-trick hero Codi Lee-Spavins from delighted Stotfold boss
- 10 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
Most of the first-half play was confined to midfield with Arlesey more than holding their own.
The decisive incident arrived in the 21st minute when a right-wing corner from Hayes was powerfully headed past Jake Whincup by the unmarked Flanaghan.
The hosts almost doubled their lead when McClements shot wide after May had provided the opening.
Arlesey nearly equalised on the stroke of half-time when a fierce shot from Shane Brown from all of 25 flashed over the crossbar.
The best period for Arlesey came early on the restart when Brown linked with Imedi Okojie who delivered the ball to George Fowler who headed wide.
Brown again was prominent when he burst into a shooting position only to place the ball within the reach of Dartford keeper Kessell.
The hosts regained the initiative and Whincup produced a brilliant save to tip over a shot from Cass and then the Arlesey custodian produced another excellent stop from Williams.
Dartford looked a solid but unspectacular outfit that will surely take some stopping in their attempt to provide a level of football to match their surroundings.
The Blues, however, do not possess the guile or firepower to trouble the teams at the top end of the table.
Blues: Whincup, Waldron, Edwards, Oliva, Brown, Clarke, Lewis, Fowler, Beech, Opara, Okojie. Subs: Honeyball, Tekell, Nene, Reed, Danti.