Gold medal and a personal best
Eleven Stevenage and North Herts AC members joined more than 900 other athletes at the Southern Counties Indoor Championships. Two of them collected medals in their age group events at the Lee Valley Indoor Centre, Edmonton, over the weekend. Daniel Gardn
Eleven Stevenage and North Herts AC members joined more than 900 other athletes at the Southern Counties Indoor Championships.
Two of them collected medals in their age group events at the Lee Valley Indoor Centre, Edmonton, over the weekend.
Daniel Gardner won the under-15 boys' pole vault with 2.60m which equalled his previous best performance. He then narrowly failed his three attempts at 2.70m.
In the same age group, Laurence Levy collected the bronze medal with a shot put of 9.91m.
You may also want to watch:
Two fourth places went to under-17 women, Bethan Scanes in the triple jump (10.13m), and to under-15 girl Alice Rackham in the high jump (1.50m, personal best).
Also in the under-17 women's triple jump, newcomer Charlie Nightingale was fifth with 10.05m, and in the under-15 girls' high jump Janet Browne was ninth, clearing 1.40m.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 5 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
The under-17 women's high jump had two club competitors - Moe Sasegbon (13th with 1.55m) and Anne Rees (equal 16th with 1.50m).
Another fifth place went to under-20 man Sam Poulton. After clocking 2:02.37 in his early morning heat, he ran a competitive race finishing with 2:01.14 in the afternoon final.
Brother Dan, in the senior men's 1500m, was timed at 4:06.19 (personal best) when fifth in his heat, and David Bowker clocked 4:41.33 when ninth in his heat.
A few days earlier, a small group of young members were also at the Lee Valley Indoor Centre competing in a 'Minithon'.
This is where they choose three events to compete in, gain points for their performance, which are added together to sort out the final order. All four of them collected medals.
In the eight and nine-years-old boys' age group, Matthew Cockburn collected the gold medal for first place (60m 9.8; 600m 2:05.9; shot 10.84). Nathan Gardner collected the bronze medal in third place (60m 9.6; 600m 2:20.7; long jump 3.94m).
In the same age girls' group, Sarah Feely was the silver medal winner in second place (60m 10.3; 60m hurdles 14.2; long jump 2.90m).
And 13-year-old boy Daniel Gardner collected the silver medal in second place (60m hurdles 10.1; high jump 1.54m pb; long jump 4.89m).