Goalkeeper ensures win
Stotfold goalkeeper Brad Gillham ensured his side won through in the North Beds Charity Cup last night (Wednesday). A handful of fine saves throughout the game saw the Rokermen win 3-1 at Wootton. Krysztof Matieskiewicz forced a good close-range stop from
Stotfold goalkeeper Brad Gillham ensured his side won through in the North Beds Charity Cup last night (Wednesday).
A handful of fine saves throughout the game saw the Rokermen win 3-1 at Wootton.
Krysztof Matieskiewicz forced a good close-range stop from Gillham eight minutes in after being put through on the right.
Wayne Mulloolly missed a good chance to turn the ball in at the near post from a corner shortly afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
The home team scored first on 16 minutes after Adam Marsh's free-kick from the right bounced in the box, and Nick Love placed his shot in under Gillham.
Dan Douglas then had his touch forward cleared off the line from a corner.
- 1 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 2 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 3 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 7 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 8 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 9 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 10 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
Another good stop with his feet on the half hour kept Craig Daniels' shot away, and after parrying a shot from Matieskiewicz shortly after Colin Shambrook got back on the line to stop Love scoring from the rebound.
Wootton kept the pressure on in the second half, Love again beating the back line on the right with Gillham this time parrying his low shot and quickly collecting the ball before Ben Baines could follow in.
A handball from a corner by Matieskiewicz gave Stotfold a route back into the game, with Arin Fehmi tucking in from the penalty spot on 58 minutes.
Less than two minutes later, Stotfold took the lead after Mulloolly picked out Callum Donnelly's run on the right.
His superb shot from outside the box flew over Dan Rogers and dipped in at the far post.
A second yellow card for Matieskiewicz on 63 minutes for another challenge on Tommy Hull made it even harder for the home team to get back into the game.
Callum Donnelly headed on to the bar on 76 minutes with Douglas unable to turn the loose ball in.
The third came direct from Paul Garrett's corner on 85 minutes, the ball bouncing in the box over Lee Allinson and in at the far post.
Rokermen: Gillham, Hull, P Donnelly, Shambrook, Juneja, Lee, C Donnelly (Bryant), Case, Douglas, Mulloolly (Allinson), A Fehmi (Garrett).