Girls shine at the Park
More than a hundred girls from Stevenage and Letchworth schools enjoyed a great day of cricket at Knebworth Park. Teams from Barclay, Barnwell, John Henry Newman, Marriotts, Nobel and Thomas Alleyne from Stevenage and the Highfield School at Letchworth to
More than a hundred girls from Stevenage and Letchworth schools enjoyed a great day of cricket at Knebworth Park.
Teams from Barclay, Barnwell, John Henry Newman, Marriotts, Nobel and Thomas Alleyne from Stevenage and the Highfield School at Letchworth took part in last Wednesday's sunny tournament.
The tournament was part of a summer of girls' cricket under the English Cricket Board's 'Chance to shine' programme introducing cricket to state schools and now in its second year with Knebworth Park CC.
The programme provides coaching and match play for girls in local schools.
After six weeks of coaching in school, the girls had the opportunity to show off their newly acquired cricketing skills.
The Stevenage School Sports Partnership played a major role in the organisation and junior sports leaders from Stevenage schools umpired and scored all the games.
- 1 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 2 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 3 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 4 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 5 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 6 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 7 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 9 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 10 The history behind two Stevenage public murals - one at Primark - now protected with listed status
The tournament was run in two divisions and the end of a great fun afternoon with some outstanding cricket played there was a clean sweep of honours between the Nobel and Highfield schools.
Division One winners were Nobel 1 with runners-up Highfield 1, and Division Two winners were Highfield 2 and runners-up Nobel 2.
Trophies were co-sponsored by Odyssey Health Club and the tournament ended with a barbecue prepared by the club's coaches.
Girls interested in taking up cricket should go to Knebworth Park Cricket Club on Sunday mornings at 9.30am and have a taster session.
Or call David Baird on 07919 598308 for more information.