Girls shine at the Park
More than a hundred girls from Stevenage and Letchworth schools enjoyed a great day of cricket at Knebworth Park. Teams from Barclay, Barnwell, John Henry Newman, Marriotts, Nobel and Thomas Alleyne from Stevenage and the Highfield School at Letchworth to
More than a hundred girls from Stevenage and Letchworth schools enjoyed a great day of cricket at Knebworth Park.
Teams from Barclay, Barnwell, John Henry Newman, Marriotts, Nobel and Thomas Alleyne from Stevenage and the Highfield School at Letchworth took part in last Wednesday's sunny tournament.
The tournament was part of a summer of girls' cricket under the English Cricket Board's 'Chance to shine' programme introducing cricket to state schools and now in its second year with Knebworth Park CC.
The programme provides coaching and match play for girls in local schools.
After six weeks of coaching in school, the girls had the opportunity to show off their newly acquired cricketing skills.
The Stevenage School Sports Partnership played a major role in the organisation and junior sports leaders from Stevenage schools umpired and scored all the games.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
The tournament was run in two divisions and the end of a great fun afternoon with some outstanding cricket played there was a clean sweep of honours between the Nobel and Highfield schools.
Division One winners were Nobel 1 with runners-up Highfield 1, and Division Two winners were Highfield 2 and runners-up Nobel 2.
Trophies were co-sponsored by Odyssey Health Club and the tournament ended with a barbecue prepared by the club's coaches.
Girls interested in taking up cricket should go to Knebworth Park Cricket Club on Sunday mornings at 9.30am and have a taster session.
Or call David Baird on 07919 598308 for more information.