Gill’s a cut above the rest
Stevenage kickboxing champ Nick Gill (pictured right) will have another chance to prove he is number one. Saturday s fight in Hove against Jason Vassallo was declared a no contest as both men suffered cuts above the eyes after only two rounds. It was an e
Stevenage kickboxing champ Nick Gill (pictured right) will have another chance to prove he is number one.
Saturday's fight in Hove against Jason Vassallo was declared a no contest as both men suffered cuts above the eyes after only two rounds.
It was an explosive fight from the off with Vassallo catching Gill with a good right hook right on the bell at the end of the first round.
The referee did not hear the bell and allowed Vassallo to follow up with more punches long after the bell had sounded.
Gill recovered well and came on strongly in the middle of the second round, only for the fight to be stopped when the ref noticed the cuts on both fighters.
Vassallo's cut was the worst of the two but with only two rounds gone a no contest was declared. Both fighters were unhappy with the stoppage as you might expect and wanted to continue.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 3 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 4 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 5 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 6 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Hitchin widower's wing walk in wife's memory
- 9 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
The two camps are now sitting down along with the promoters and deciding when and where a rematch will take place.
Gill's coach Trevor Spencer said: "We'd like to say a big thank you to the 100 strong supporters who made the journey to Brighton to show their support. It was an amazing atmosphere. It was just a shame that the fight had to end so soon and in that way.