Former England netball captain attends Stevenage fundraising event
Former England netball captain and Mavericks Super League player Amanda Newton went down a storm in Stevenage recently. It was at the end of season fundraising event for the Stevenage Storm Netball Club which took place at Barclay School. The evening was
Former England netball captain and Mavericks Super League player Amanda Newton went down a storm in Stevenage recently.
It was at the end of season fundraising event for the Stevenage Storm Netball Club which took place at Barclay School.
The evening was based around the club's achievements for the year, with each year group receiving various awards.
Newton presented coaches' player, players' player, most improved player and most committed player awards.
You may also want to watch:
Emily Drackford, chairman of Stevenage Storm, said: "It was an honour to have Amanda at this event. The club is very grateful that she could attend, as she is an excellent role model for many netballers."
Achievements of Stevenage Storm this season include their players representing Stevenage in the Herts Youth Games at Hatfield in May; one Year Nine selected into the Herts Satellite Netball Academy; and Year Nine, 11 and 13 girls selected by the club coaches to attend Herts county pre-screening for talented players.
- 1 Green light for 40-bed homeless shelter in Letchworth
- 2 Council tax to rise as Stevenage residents bear brunt of COVID-19 costs
- 3 New mass COVID-19 vaccine centre opens in Letchworth
- 4 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 5 £10,000 fine handed to organisers of remembrance service that saw 150 attendees
- 6 Patients sing praises of new Letchworth vaccine centre
- 7 Family call on government to lower age of bowel cancer screenings after mum's death
- 8 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
- 9 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 10 Family shares heartfelt tribute to 'wonderful son and father' Christopher
Senior netball training started in September 2007 and in the first season the senior team achieved second place in The John Henry Newman Winter League.
Stevenage Storm were also runners-up in the Herts Netball Association 'Jenny Evans' coaching award, 16 coaches gained the level one UKCC netball coaching award, and four Storm coaches gained level two.
The netballers thanked the Stevenage School Sports Partnership, Sport Stevenage and Barclay School for their support in helping make the club successful, together with the players and parents.
Next season's junior training starts on Tuesday, September 9, at The John Henry Newman Leisure Centre from 5.30pm onwards. New members are always welcome. For more information, contact Julia Burrows on 07891 528615, or visit a new website from August which is www.stevenagestorm.co.uk