Former England netball captain attends Stevenage fundraising event
Former England netball captain and Mavericks Super League player Amanda Newton went down a storm in Stevenage recently. It was at the end of season fundraising event for the Stevenage Storm Netball Club which took place at Barclay School. The evening was
Former England netball captain and Mavericks Super League player Amanda Newton went down a storm in Stevenage recently.
It was at the end of season fundraising event for the Stevenage Storm Netball Club which took place at Barclay School.
The evening was based around the club's achievements for the year, with each year group receiving various awards.
Newton presented coaches' player, players' player, most improved player and most committed player awards.
Emily Drackford, chairman of Stevenage Storm, said: "It was an honour to have Amanda at this event. The club is very grateful that she could attend, as she is an excellent role model for many netballers."
Achievements of Stevenage Storm this season include their players representing Stevenage in the Herts Youth Games at Hatfield in May; one Year Nine selected into the Herts Satellite Netball Academy; and Year Nine, 11 and 13 girls selected by the club coaches to attend Herts county pre-screening for talented players.
- 1 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 2 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 3 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 4 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 5 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 6 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 7 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Woman left with injuries after dog attack in Woolmer Green
Senior netball training started in September 2007 and in the first season the senior team achieved second place in The John Henry Newman Winter League.
Stevenage Storm were also runners-up in the Herts Netball Association 'Jenny Evans' coaching award, 16 coaches gained the level one UKCC netball coaching award, and four Storm coaches gained level two.
The netballers thanked the Stevenage School Sports Partnership, Sport Stevenage and Barclay School for their support in helping make the club successful, together with the players and parents.
Next season's junior training starts on Tuesday, September 9, at The John Henry Newman Leisure Centre from 5.30pm onwards. New members are always welcome. For more information, contact Julia Burrows on 07891 528615, or visit a new website from August which is www.stevenagestorm.co.uk