The big tie is off but there’s still plenty of dramatic cup action

PUBLISHED: 12:01 12 January 2006 | UPDATED: 09:27 06 May 2010

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League The hotly-anticipated Herts Sunday Senior Cup tie between Nirankari Sports Sabha and Dun Cow did not go ahead as the Norton Road pitch at Baldock was suffering after the rain. James Bywater scored as Stevenage Fe

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League

The hotly-anticipated Herts Sunday Senior Cup tie between Nirankari Sports Sabha and Dun Cow did not go ahead as the Norton Road pitch at Baldock was suffering after the rain.

James Bywater scored as Stevenage Fencing were soundly beaten at Oak St George.

The other tie was abandoned after Bottles centre-half Wayne Coleman broke his leg at Oakview.

In the Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup, Station made it through with a terrific win at Cheshunt (Sunday). Ian Woodfield was the hero with a hat-trick, Ryan Skeggs added the other.

Two down at half-time, Tony Webb's strike was not enough as Bar Absolute went down to another goal against Harts.

Breachwood Lions were beaten 3-2 at Bedmond in Hemel despite goals for Ali Collins and Ian Canning.

Both KLM Challenge Cup ties saw Division Three sides humble sides from a higher division.

The only unbeaten team in league matches in all four divisions, Pin Green, raced into a three-goal half-time lead against Division One's MBDA courtesy of Graeme Kear and Richard Griffiths (two).

Si Parnell pulled one back but Pin Green held on and face White Horse in the last 16.

Fox dumped out Division Two outfit ProCladd, for whom Daz Krogh was sent-off again.

Carl Fletcher's strike was a consolation as Steve Young was back from injury with a brace, one a penalty, before Greg Bradbury hit a hat-trick. They will face Fencing or Sporting.

The first side into the Premier Division Cup semi-finals are Rileys, who beat Royal Oak.

Steve Bush scored for Royal Oak before James Khakpour-Smith equalised and Steve Bull's free-kick put Rileys in front. Khakpour-Smith headed a third to line up a semi-final meeting with Fencing or Dun Cow.

After a goalless 90 minutes against Hermit of Redcoats, goals from Paul Berry and Mark Oakley put Clifton through. They will now meet Nirankari or Bottles.

Division One leaders Mallard were dumped out of the cup by the side challenging them for the title, Rising Sun. After a goalless first-half, Sun took the lead through Joe Delasalle and added another through Tom Hillard. Mallard pulled one back through Andy Pilgrim but Kaan Fehmi's excellent lob towards the end sealed a tie with Stevenage Colts or MBDA.

King Pin United pulled off a surprise win in the Division Two Cup against Coopers.

Michael Gwilliam scored for Coopers but Pin equalised as Danny Lingwood got a touch to Kieran Bowden's shot. Pin took the lead thanks to Ricky Lawrence and made sure thanks to a Perry Maranian strike to set up a tie with Breachwood or Triage.

Michael Hatch, Lee Kitching and John Hughes struck as SBS set up a tie with Station or Newman; Hayden McColm and Ricky Bridge replied for White Diamond Security.

On a day of shocks, another one saw John Patrick from Division Three leaders Hogshead continue his good goalscoring run by hitting a brace to no avail as they were eliminated by White Horse, who will now meet MBDA Res or Fox in the semi-finals. Jamie Robertson, James Flynn, Brendan Moulton and James Butler grabbed the goals.

League top goalscorer Joel Mason added another hat-trick to move his tally to 21 goals as Bedwell Athletic took the chance to jump to second in the Premier table. A brace from the in-form Shaun McDermott was not enough for Broadhall as he was matched by the influential Steve Underwood for Bedwell and surpassed by their nemesis Mason.

The bottom two at the time met in Division One, with Norwich Union still awaiting their first win. Richard Griffin gave Stevenage Colts the lead with a header but Ed Holloway soon equalised.

Colts restored the lead as Steve Payne won a penalty, which Barry Hazelton duly converted. With just two minutes left, Dave Banks bundled the ball over the line to equalise.

Triage had a big win against RD Newcotech in Division Two as Ian Agass was the unlikely hero with a hat-trick to double his league tally for the season.

All three goals were set up by Neil Roskilly, who also scored. Other scorers were birthday boy Paul Chappell and Lee Maloney.

Carl Thompson bagged another hat-trick as Marquis of Lorne beat bottom club Newman. Ricky Wilson also struck, while Tom Karney netted the consolation.

In Division Three, Broadhall Res are the new leaders after another Steve Teale-inspired performance skittled MC Racing. He took his league tally to 20 with four and Alan Widdows grabbed the other. Lee Horsley netted the solitary reply.

Granby St George also leapfrogged Hogshead to complete a miserable day for them. Hen and Chickens took an early lead from Tony Davies but Granby responded thanks to brothers Simon and Craig Longman, as well as Dan Pinkerton.

Keith Parker and Lee Boston netted for North Herts Celtic against AFC Stevenage, for whom Luke Jones hit a brace, as they shared four goals and incredibly drew their first game of the season at the 20th attempt.

n Compiled by Darren Statto Jones


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet