Teams will try again this Sunday in the cup

PUBLISHED: 10:38 19 January 2006 | UPDATED: 09:27 06 May 2010

The Herts Sunday Senior Cup tie between Nirankari Sports Sabha and Dun Cow was again called off. The pitch in Baldock was still in a poor state and they will try again this weekend at King George s. John Godfrey scored a solitary goal as Bottles hopes we

The Herts Sunday Senior Cup tie between Nirankari Sports Sabha and Dun Cow was again called off.

The pitch in Baldock was still in a poor state and they will try again this weekend at King George's.

John Godfrey scored a solitary goal as Bottles' hopes were ended comfortably at Oakview.

Amazingly, in addition to last week's two games, all three of this week's KLM Challenge Cup ties saw giant-killings.

AFC Stevenage took the lead through a Terry Lock penalty, and despite Oliver May's leveller for SBS, they went through on penalties after Rob Altringham's decisive kick. They meet Mallard this week.

Broadhall Res knocked out Bar Absolute, who look like they have played their last game as the league await a resignation letter. Simon Flecknell netted to add to yet another treble from Steve Teale.

Danny Bowgett, Lee Wilson and Martin Wilson struck as Propak were surprisingly beaten by Breachwood Lions, for whom Ian Canning (two), Danny Jefferies, Adam Burnage and Graham Crisp were on target.

The winners of these two ties meet on Sunday.

Stevenage Colts threw away a two-goal lead with 17 minutes remaining as MBDA set up a Division One Cup semi-final meeting with Rising Sun. Lee Metselaar pulled one back, Ray Downes equalised with a header and Olly Rice's thunderbolt strike from 25 yards won the tie with just two minutes remaining.

Station set up a last four meeting with SBS in the Division Two Cup after a resounding win over Newman. Single strikes from Elliot Bunn, Carl Bennett, Lee Babb, Liam McQueen, David Price and Anthony Jones put them through.

MBDA Res spent 70 minutes in the opposing half but still went down to a quality early strike from Steven Young and a late Paul Lowry own goal as Fox set up a Division Three Cup semi-final meeting with White Horse.

In the Premier Division, Broadhall won an amazing game. Shaun McDermott (four), Grant Sullivan (two), Ross Woodbridge (two), Darren Westbrook and Danny Miller netted against Stevenage Fencing, who replied through Jim Bywater (two), Marvin Bates, Sam Gittings and an own goal.

Ben Downham gave Royal Oak the lead against Hermit of Redcoats, for whom James French equalised. Terry Pateman and debutant Leeroy Odd won it for Oak before French was sent-off after the final whistle.

Injury-hit Division One leaders Mallard finished the game with nine men but still edged another win thanks to Ian Baker and a Chris Balazs own goal. Steve Gibbons netted FCFL's goal.

Rising Sun consolidated second place courtesy of four goals from Kaan Fehmi, John Vooght adding the other on his debut. Ed Holloway and Dave Banks replied for Norwich Union.

Coopers moved level on points at the top of Division Two with Breachwood after a three-goal blitz inside 15 minutes. Brad Harrison and Steve Harris struck hat-tricks apiece; a Gav Acton penalty and a Jason Lovelock strike completed Triage's misery. Neil Roskilly hit their token gesture.

Two apiece for Neil Henderson and George Rowe, who also hit the post and had one disallowed, saw ProCladd to an easy win over RD Newcotech (Mark Mudd).

King Pin United were two-up through Kieran Bowden's volley and Danny Lingwood before a Gary Hillard penalty put White Diamond Security back in the game just before the break. Ricky Bridge (two) and Hayden McColm completed the turnaround.

Paul Wright and Bryan Every helped themselves to a hat-trick and Lee Dowsett also scored as Hogshead jumped back to the top of Division Three after a thrilling win over Hen and Chickens.

They took a seven-goal lead before Rikki Flora and Charnjit Singh scored two apiece to restore some respectability.

Pin Green had a resounding win as Ben Smith (two), Lee Stevens (two), Graeme Kear, Dave Baldwin and Colin Field grabbed the goals against an MC Racing side still awaiting their first win since the opening day.

White Horse continued their revival with another good result, Paul Summers (two), Brendan Moulton, Jason Butler and a Jamie Robertson penalty beat North Herts Celtic, for whom Alan Mitchell, John Cragg and Murray Fastier netted.

* Compiled by Darren Statto Jones


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet