Penalty drama in KLM Challenge Cup

PUBLISHED: 10:43 13 April 2006 | UPDATED: 09:58 06 May 2010

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League There was real drama in the KLM Challenge Cup semi-finals on Sunday. Shaun Marshall and Rich Hall netted as Dun Cow gained revenge over Bottles for last season when they were beaten by the same opponents at the s

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League

There was real drama in the KLM Challenge Cup semi-finals on Sunday.

Shaun Marshall and Rich Hall netted as Dun Cow gained revenge over Bottles for last season when they were beaten by the same opponents at the same stage.

The other semi saw the only two unbeaten sides in all four divisions matched up.

Rookie Division Three side Pin Green emulated last season's Coach and Horses side by stunning Division One champions Mallard to make the final.

They shocked their more illustrious opponents by roaring into a three-goal lead. Dave Baldwin headed home a Sean Soards corner, Richard Griffiths curled home the second and Soards produced a wonderful finish to smash home a rebound after Baldwin had hit a post.

Ricky Dance pulled one back just before half time. Perry Phillips netted a penalty and constant pressure paid off when Craig Reynolds buried a header late on to take the game to extra-time.

Pin Green then scored in the first half of extra time after a goalmouth scramble when Craig Hadlow's shot hit two defenders before going in.

Craig Blake equalised with a header in the second period to force spot-kicks.

In the penalty shoot-out, both Phillips and Reynolds saw their kicks saved by Damian Smith, while namesake Ben and Paul Ingram-Tedd made it 2-0.

Mallard pulled one back by netting and Ashley Bridge missing. Both sides scored again, Griffiths for Pin Green, before Mallard's Simon Page put his effort wide of the post to send them tumbling out.

Station were handed another forfeit, this time by SBS, in their challenge for the Division Two title.

They were present at the meeting of the top two where Coopers disappointed them by edging out Breachwood Lions.

The deadlock was broken against the run of play as an Andy Collier corner found Brad Harrison to drill low through a crowded penalty area.

Coopers dominated the second-half and grabbed a second through Chris Goodyear's sweet strike. Lions grabbed a lifeline 15 minutes from time when Adam Burnage whipped a cross into the penalty area for Ali Collins to net.

King Pin United beat a nine-man ProCladd, for whom Neil Henderson netted both goals. Danny Lingwood (two), James Wyatt and Elliott Harvey-Manning scored for King Pin.

Marquis of Lorne went in front early through Carl Thompson before a good ball from Mark Roskilly allowed his brother Neil to fire home from close range to level for Triage.

A stray pass from Paul Chapple caused a defender to slice the ball into his own net before Chapple himself scored with a shot off the post before half-time. Marquis hit back twice through Paul Osborne to level before Neil Roskilly earned a penalty, from which Jim McGarry netted to see 10-man Triage take the points.

In Division Three, Hogshead extended their lead at the top over Pin Green after a comfortable win over Granby St George.

Calvert Garnes netted the opener following a goalmouth scramble. Jamie Campany continued his rich vein of form with a looping header and Adam Lusby struck from 25 yards to round off the win.

After being the basement side for most of the season, MC Racing jumped two places thanks to Steve Koop and Nik Tribe goals in their final match against Fox.

An error from Dan Barrett in goal gifted Broadhall Res the lead through Ben Courtney. Andy Blackie headed home a rare goal from a corner before Dave Byatt's penalty put MBDA Res back in it. Adam Priest prodded home the equaliser from the edge of the box late on.

Hen and Chickens began the game with 10 men but still led through Charnjit Singh's strike against North Herts Celtic before getting their full allocation shortly before half-time.

Chris Thomas scored before a quality finish from man of the match Manjit Singh, who buried a spectacular effort from 40 yards with the keeper off his line.

Charnjit Singh grabbed his second from outside the penalty area before Paul Jones hammered home and Rob Barnes nodded in to complete the scoring.

In the Invitation Cup, AFC Stevenage had a 6-2 win over a nine-man Newman thanks to Josh Watson (two), Ryan Gregory, Terry Lock, Kyle Brown and Jordan Wade.

A brace from the prolific James Khakpour-Smith gave Rileys the overall win over 10-man MBDA.

Royal Oak levelled the aggregate score thanks to two from Trevor Hoyte and a Terry Pateman strike but Paul Summers' 25-yard lob in the final 10 minutes was enough to give White Horse the win.

Sam Gittings, Carl Lingwood and a Marc Holmes brace saw Stevenage Fencing win with ease against Stevenage Colts. White Diamond Security edged out Rising Sun.

* Compiled by Darren Statto Jones (,

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet