Macclesfield Town 2-2 Stevenage FC: Late equaliser for Silkmen sees Boro drop two points on the road

PUBLISHED: 17:01 23 March 2019 | UPDATED: 17:09 23 March 2019

Danny Newton of Stevenage in the League Two game between Stevenage FC v Mansfield Town at the Lamex Stadium, Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Picture: DANNY LOO

Danny Newton of Stevenage in the League Two game between Stevenage FC v Mansfield Town at the Lamex Stadium, Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Archant

Stevenage conceded a 93rd minute equaliser as they drew 2-2 in an entertaining game against relegation threatened Macclesfield Town at Moss Rose in League Two on Saturday afternoon

Elliot Durrell opened the scoring for the home side with 42 minutes on the clock, but Ben Nugent levelled just two minutes later with a towering header.

Danny Newton was introduced at half-time and gave Boro the lead just seven minutes later, turning the ball home inside the six-yard box, but with 93 minutes gone, Danny Whitaker scored to earn Macclesfield a point.

The visitors had the first chance of the afternoon when Moses Makasi curled an effort just wide after good play on the edge of the box.

With 19 minutes on the clock, applause rang around Moss Rose to remember former Stevenage forward and Love Island star Michael Thalassitis, who tragically took his own life last weekend.

The first-half produced few clear cut chances, but the Silkmen did have one that they failed to take just 10 minutes before the break.

Nugent failed to stop a through ball, forcing Paul Farman off his line but Durrell beat him to it, pulling the ball back to Reece Cole.

The striker hesitated and failed to pull the trigger, instead finding Durrell who looked certain to score, but Stevenage stopper Farman smothered to stop a certain opener.

That seemed to spark the game into life and there was no denying Durrell minutes later as he scored the opener.

The diminutive attacker beat the offside trap as the Boro back four stood watching, keeping his cool to slot home and give the relegation threatened home side the lead.

But, that lead last just 120 seconds as Stevenage levelled the score with 44 minutes gone. Joel Byrom curled a free-kick right onto the head of Nugent, with the defender towering above his marker to nod home and silence Moss Rose.

Boro boss Dino Maamria made a change at half-time, with Newton making his return in place of Guthrie, and the striker made an instant impact putting the away side ahead on 52 minutes.

A free-kick on the halfway line was clipped into the box, with the ball knocked down for Newton who turned sharply on the corner of the six-yard box, rolling the ball under O’Hara in the Macclesfield goal.

Makasi should have made it three moments later when he was played in on goal, but the West Ham United loanee got it all wrong, putting his tame effort straight at the ‘keeper.

The home side saw most of the ball after that, but failed to create any really chances as Stevenage looked comfortable in their defensive work.

But, with 93 minutes played, a ball into the box wasn’t dealt with, Nathan Cameron nodded down for substitute Danny Whitaker who drove a shot into the far corner for a share of the spoils.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet