Ford says he’s the man to steer Boro

PUBLISHED: 11:13 18 May 2006 | UPDATED: 10:09 06 May 2010

Andy Ford

Andy Ford

MARCUS CRAWLEY reports ANDY Ford believes he is the man to guide Stevenage Boro into the Football League. The former Gravesend boss, who quit as assistant manager to the departing Graham Westley earlier in the season, has been interviewed at Broadhall Way

MARCUS CRAWLEY reports

ANDY Ford believes he is the man to guide Stevenage Boro into the Football League.

The former Gravesend boss, who quit as assistant manager to the departing Graham Westley earlier in the season, has been interviewed at Broadhall Way this week for the vacant post.

Ford admitted: "It's a fantastic club and I would love the opportunity to manage them.

"It's geared for the Football League and I see it as a dream job.

"It was my decision to leave earlier in the season but I could see then what potential the club has.

"The infrastructure at the club and the right cash flow is all there.

"After being number two at Stevenage and Thurrock, I don't want a number two position any more.

"I've not got the experience in the Football League but I've got the experience of the Conference and of being at the club of course.

"If I got given the job, I feel I would do a good job."

And Ford added: "Stevenage is definitely a great opportunity for anyone.

"I'm sure they will get some high quality people applying.

"My one concern is that I may not be a big enough name and I won't get excited about it yet."

As well as Ford, Boro have confirmed strong interest in the vacant managerial post.

Interviews started on Tuesday with Ford on the initial shortlist along with three former Football League managers and three former Conference managers, who were all being seen this week.

Names known to have also applied are Brian Talbot, Jim Harvey, Dean Austin, Jimmy Quinn, Steve Bleasdale, Peter Morris and John Cornforth.

Mark Stimson has resigned his position at Grays Athletic this week and is another man sure to be interesting the club.

On the playing side, Mickey Warner, Rob Quinn and Ollie Berquez have not been retained, while Jon Nurse and Darryn Stamp are still in talks.

Chief executive Bob Makin said: "I've been inundated with enquiries, CVs and applications.

"We've had calls from agents and managers every day this week and we intend to see candidates as quickly as we can."

Boro chairman Phil Wallace added: "We have to balance moving quickly with making the right appointment.

"There's a lot of very good people out there and we think that the opportunity of taking Stevenage Boro to a higher playing level will be attractive to many of them.

"After six years of hard work and planning, the infrastructure is firmly in place to play at a higher level and there's a huge fan base to tap into if we can deliver the goods on the pitch.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet