Exeter City 1-0 Stevenage: Dino Maamria’s ten-man Boro fall to Grecians

PUBLISHED: 21:43 02 October 2018

Exeter City hosted Stevenage at St James Park. CREDIT @laythy29

Exeter City hosted Stevenage at St James Park. CREDIT @laythy29


Dino Maamria’s Stevenage made the long trip to St James Park, Exeter for their League Two clash on Tuesday evening. Read on for Layth Yousif’s match report

Ten-man Stevenage went down 1-0 to Exeter City on a disappointing night after Luther James-Wildin was sent off late on for his second bookable offence.

A first half goal by Dean Moxey in time added on following a lengthy stoppage after a fan was taken ill in the stands was enough to clinch the win for the home side.

Maamria’s high-flying Stevenage faced Exeter City at St James Park on Tuesday evening in a fourth against third clash.

But despite heading into the match with Matt Taylor’s side brimming full of confidence after their hard-fought 1-0 victory at Carlisle on Saturday they returned to the Lamex pointless.

Boro boss Maamria made one change from the side that started at Brunton Park with James Ferry coming in for Emmanuel Sonupe in a fluid 4-3-3 formation.

Boro were one of the form teams in League Two with three wins from their last five league games.

However, their schedule proved too much for them after travelling more than 1,000 miles in a matter of days.

Alex Revell nearly gave Stevenage the perfect start after he went close with a powerful shot that flew over the bar home keeper Christy Pym’s goal on ten minutes.

Referee Anthony Coggins halted the match on 14 minutes after a fan was taken ill in the stands. Thankfully the person was treated immediately and the game restarted shortly afterwards.

The Grecians dominated as Jayden Stockley drilled a shot over the bar. Luke Croll did the same before Nicky Law headed over when well-placed as the Boro backline staged a defiant rearguard.

Boro came close with a well-worked free-kick five minutes before the interval resulting in Birmingham City left-back Steve Seddon’s cross-shot flying over Pym’s goal.

However the Grecians went ahead moments before the break when Moxey fired in from close range after a goalmouth scramble following Stockley thudding the ball against the bar moments earlier.

Referee Coggins blew seconds later as the home side went into the break 1-0 ahead. In truth they deserved the lead after the command they showed for long spells.

Jonathan Forte could have doubled the lead 11 minutes into the second period but fired over after good work down the right channel by Law.

Forte reciprocated the move fed Law moments later but the former Rangers midfielder dragged his effort wide of Dieng’s right-hand post.

Stockley saw a close range shot well-blocked by an alert Dieng on 77 minutes.

James-Wildin then received his second yellow for bringing down substitute Chiedoze Ogbene to cap a disappointing night for the highly-rated defender.

As the clock ticked down the depleted visitors simply couldn’t break down the solid Exeter backline.

Follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet