Defeat for Arlesey, Stotfold and Langford

PUBLISHED: 14:00 16 November 2006 | UPDATED: 11:14 06 May 2010

Saturday round-up It was a hard luck story as Arlesey Town suffered just their second loss of the season in the Ryman League Division One North. The Blues were beaten 1-0 at Enfield in their second visit of the season to Wodson Park. This time they took o

Saturday round-up

It was a hard luck story as Arlesey Town suffered just their second loss of the season in the Ryman League Division One North.

The Blues were beaten 1-0 at Enfield in their second visit of the season to Wodson Park. This time they took on the tenants Enfield following their 3-3 draw with Ware back in August.

Stewart Beevor was unavailable and Martin Williams was sidelined with a hamstring injury.

Arin Fehmi came in on the right of midfield and Dean McElroy took over in defence, while the hosts included ex-Blue Martin Young with Brett Donnelly on the bench.

The match was dominated throughout by Arlesey apart from a brief spell either side of the interval.

Before the hosts scored five minutes from time, the visitors should have been out of sight.

Kicking down the slope in the first half, their initial opportunity came in the 13th minute when James Gray volleyed wide following a rebound from a Craig Rydeheard cross.

Enfield lost keeper Daley in the 20th minute with a recurrence of a groin injury, Amfossy taking over in goal.

Then, completely against the run of play, Enfield had their one chance of the half when Stevenson in space let fly 30 yards from goal but the ball crashed off the upright to safety.

After an initial flurry by the home side at the start of the new half, Arlesey continued in the driving seat.

Kaan Fehmi and Michael McKenzie provided tame shots from promising positions, while in the 53rd minute, Young in space at the far post produced a great save from Jack Rashid.

Arlesey were soon steaming forward and Ozie Foster shot wide of the near post from a Kaan Fehmi free-kick.

A mistake by Steve Dogbe, in attempting to find Rashid, presented Stuart with a golden opportunity only to shoot tamely into the keeper's arms.

There followed a period of play almost exclusively in the home area, Rydeheard shot over the bar, and both Foster and Dogbe had efforts scrambled off the line.

Sub Jay Thomas opened up the defence for McKenzie to miss an open goal, then McElroy failed to make telling contact at the near post from another Lee Tekell corner.

The away support began to fear the worst when Kaan Fehmi played the ball to Thomas who closed on the keeper, only to shoot into his body.

Hearts were broken in the 85th minute as Enfield won a corner. Arlesey failed to clear the ball and Oshin drove the ball into the net for the winner.

Blues: Rashid, McElroy, Bloss, K Fehmi, Dogbe, Gray, Tekell, A Fehmi, McKenzie, Foster (Thomas 75), Rydeheard.

Stotfold remained second from bottom after conceding two late goals in losing 2-0 at home to Long Buckby.

The visitors did most of the first-half attacking with Tony Harvey saving from Craig Kelly and Danny Duggan.

Stotfold's best chances in the half came for Adam Furness with a low shot at the keeper from the left and Louis Lee powerfully shooting from distance but just over the bar.

Furness had two good chances at the start of the second half.

The first came when he was put through by Ryan Mitchell but was denied by the oversized Paul Warnecki in the Long Buckby goal. Two minutes later, Warnecki tipped over his flick from Lee's cross from the left.

Ryan Mitchell shot low and wide through the box on 67 minutes after being teed up by Scott Rennie while Craig Kelly had his header from a cross tipped over by Harvey five minutes later.

A ball forward found Furness clear of the last man, and after getting to the box unchallenged, shot low to beat the keeper but just wide of the far post.

The first Long Buckby goal came on 82 minutes when Adrian Mann found himself in a bit of space on the edge of the box and decided to have a shot, firing low to Harvey's left.

Their killer second goal came just before the end, with many players and fans alike appealing for offside, as Kevin Slinn lobbed Harvey.

Rokermen: Harvey, Rennie, Drury (Downham, J Mitchell), R Mitchell (Delacy), Geraghty, Taylor, Alcide, Lee, Furness, Thorne, Nichol.

Langford went down 3-2 at Ruislip Manor in an exciting SML Premier Division clash.

The Reds trailed 2-0 at the break and keeper Ed Winsor also saved a penalty.

Rob Groves and Lee Pateman had soon levelled matters after the interval but Ruislip netted the winner a quarter of an hour from time.

Arlesey Athletic won by the odd goal in five at home to bottom club Cranfield United thanks to a brace of goals from Mark Phillips and one by Dave Kiddie.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet