Daggers are big draw for positive Blues
PUBLISHED: 11:13 13 July 2006 | UPDATED: 10:25 06 May 2010
Arlesey Town are back in the Ryman League after a brief sojourn in the Southern League. Manager Jon Taylor has gathered a strong squad for the new season and expects his side to be among the promotion candidates. And Arlesey s playing surface and changing
Arlesey Town are back in the Ryman League after a brief sojourn in the Southern League.
Manager Jon Taylor has gathered a strong squad for the new season and expects his side to be among the promotion candidates.
And Arlesey's playing surface and changing rooms are the envy of many local clubs and the members' bar and function suite still have a modern and fresh look about them.
It was only a few seasons ago that the club moved from Lamb Meadow - just a couple of hundred yards away - to its new facilities at the Raj Villa Stadium as it will be called from this season.
Arlesey also has a ladies' team and youth teams for all ages as well as having Arlesey Athletic ground share.
The first team's opening pre-season friendly is against Conference side Dagenham and Redbridge on Tuesday night.
It continues a bond formed at an exciting FA Trophy replay from a couple of seasons ago.
Ex-Blue Craig Mackail-Smith, who went on to join the Daggers the following season, should be making his return.
And another Arlesey old boy, Dave Kitson, will be making his bow this season in the Premiership.
Kitson's goals saw him attract the interest of Cambridge United before they sold him on to Reading.
He visits the club whenever possible and is their new shirt sponsor through his new venture 'Chateau Roux', a modern clothing outlet that can be visited from the club website.
Stadium sponsors Raj Villa have been supporting the club for many seasons and have now 'upgraded' their interest.
Sky Sports television is available at the ground on matchdays and during the week.
If you want to contact the club about membership or football matters call 01462 734504 (preferably after 7pm) or just pop in.
Their website is www.arleseyfc.co.uk
Arlesey's full list of pre-season fixtures is:
* Tuesday, July 18: Dagenham and Redbridge (home, 7.45 pm)
* Thursday, July 20: Mildenhall Town (home, 7.45pm)
* Saturday, July 22: Deeping Rangers (away, 3pm)
* Tuesday, July 25: Hitchin Town (away, 7.30 pm)
* Thursday, July 27: Kettering Town (home, 7.45pm)
* Saturday, July 29: Brackley Town (away, 3pm)
* Tuesday, August 1: Stotfold (away, 7.45 pm) - Jan Anderson Memorial Cup
* Thursday, August 3: Wootton Blue Cross (home, 7.30pm)
* Saturday, August 5: Cambridge City (home, 3pm)
* Thursday, August 10: Biggleswade United (away, 7.30pm)
* Saturday, August 12: Leighton Town (home, 3pm)
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.