Controversy as Arlesey Town denied a point following disallowed goal

PUBLISHED: 11:17 16 March 2015 | UPDATED: 11:37 16 March 2015

Ben Farrell in his previous spell at Arlesey. Photo: Martyn Annetts

Ben Farrell in his previous spell at Arlesey. Photo: Martyn Annetts


Match report: Arlesey Town 0 Weymouth 1

Arlesey were denied a point in controversial circumstances on Saturday.

Trailing to a freak Stewart Yetton goal, the Blues thought that they had scored a late equaliser when new signing Inih Effiong bundled home a ‘goal’ deep into the game.

Yet although the referee at first signalled for a goal, he was then alerted by his assistant and after a brief exchange of words ruled the effort offside much to the anger of the home team’s players, two of whom were subsequently booked for arguing their point.

Effiong was one of four new signings the club made within the last week in a bid to stay in the division.

On a weekend that saw Arlesey celebrate Red Nose Day by having a children’s day with their various youth teams in attendance, Effiong joined Ben Farrell, Zack Reynolds and Jevani Brown in the matchday squad.

In goal for Weymouth was a young keeper, Joe Wallacott, who had come on loan from Bristol City the day before, and he almost made the worse possible start as he mis-hit a goal kick into the path of Brown who took a step and hit a shot straight back at the goalkeeper.

Geoff Mitchell did well to hold off three defenders before firing wide for the hosts, while Brown headed just over from a good position. For Weymouth, a long goal kick was aimed towards Yetton and the forward hit a low shot that Nick Thompson pushed wide of his goal.

Reynolds fired just wide at the start of the second half, and 10 minutes in Weymouth struck the only goal of the game.

On the right of midfield, Yetton sent in a cross that caught out Thompson as the ball dipped under the bar to hand the visitors the lead.

Effiong came on and went close with a shot that went just over, before Kim Forsythe was brought on to make it four Blues strikers on the pitch.

Arlesey thought they had got an equaliser in the dying moments when the keeper kept out a Mitchell shot only for Effiong to bundle the ball over the line.

But as he wheeled away in celebration, the referee ran over to his assistant before ruling the goal out for offside to deny Town a point.

Arlesey: Thompson, Maltay (Effiong 64), Abraham, Farrell, Gilbert, Sage, (Bailey 90), Reynolds, (Forsythe 75), Tavernier, Brown, Mitchell, Powell, Subs: Lobjoit, St-Louis-Hamilton.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet