Biggleswade United 3-2 Welwyn Garden City: United end Citizens unbeaten streak

PUBLISHED: 00:55 17 January 2018 | UPDATED: 01:32 17 January 2018

Biggleswade United players coming out for the second half against Welwyn Garden City

Biggleswade United players coming out for the second half against Welwyn Garden City


Biggleswade United shocked former league leaders Welwyn Garden City at Second Meadow, becoming the first side to defeat Welwyn this season in a 3-2 victory.

The result also ended Welwyn’s short lived spell at the top of the Spartan South Midlands Premier leauge on a disappointing night for the Citizens.

Goals from Lee Bilcock, Joe Gorman and Jaiden Kish cancelled out Jon Clements early goal and a very late consolation that was bundled in by WGC.

Pre-game table toppers Welwyn, playing in their orange away strip, visited Second Meadow with a 20 point cushion over United in ninth place, despite the hosts holding five games in hand on the Citizens.

Before United could compose themselves, the visitors and their direct style of play were on the break. The hard-working Dan Bond burst down the right, flying away from the United defence before squaring the ball for Clements to finish low at the near post. Less than five minutes in and it was 1-0, it looked like it a long night for the home side.

Welwyn’s robust tackling and lightning fast transitions from defence to attack don’t require much possession, so Biggleswade were given an opportunity to settle.

The home side were still squandering too many passes but although Welwyn were given chances to break, they weren’t as effective as usual. Battling centre-half Yasin Boodhoo’s injury early in the half was certainly a boost to United’s hopes.

In their first real chance of the game, a United corner whipped in to the near post made it through to Bilcock, who flicked the ball in after 24 minutes for 1-1.

Biggleswade’s attack continued to get outmuscled by the WGC defence and it looked like United would have to get in behind to score.

The home side began to deal with the visitors counter attacks better as the game went on but they continued to put themselves on the back foot in the first half with carelessness in possession.

In added time at the end of the half, Welwyn paid for their clumsiness in the tackle, giving away a free-kick to be lofted in from deep. Joe Gorman flicked it into the top corner, sending director of football Guillem Balague wild and United 2-1 up.

Neither side really deserved to be behind at half-time, and WGC boss Adam Fisher will be disappointed his side conceded from two set pieces.

Welwyn came out determined, pressuring hard and hitting the post from a corner but Biggleswade looked more confident, beginning to edge a frustrated Welwyn.

After a period of good United pressure, Welwyn keeper Tom Courton came out to intercept a ball which, to Courton’s surprise, Kish dummied, leaving the reds number 10 to slot into an empty net for 3-1.

United’s confidence grew and although Welwyn went very close, they weren’t able to make enough clear cut chances to draw level. Biggleswade’s ball retention and defensive composure was much improved in the second-half, and they edged the side who won 20 games in a row last year.

A very late consolation for Welwyn made it a nervy end for United. The ball was bundled in from a corner, seemingly by several Citizens players, but it was Balague and co punching the air at the final whistle.

It was a deserved win for United and a huge scalp, one that will provide a huge boost for the rest of the season.

The Citizens are now in second place, a point behind Bekhamstead, who have played three more games.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists