Hendon 1–2 Biggleswade Town: Waders through in FA Trophy after dramatic last-gasp winner

PUBLISHED: 17:20 10 November 2018

Jonny McNamara in action for Biggleswade Town. Picture: DANNY LOO

Jonny McNamara in action for Biggleswade Town. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Archant

Biggleswade Town snatched a place in the FA Trophy third round qualifying after a last-gasp Joe White winner completed a dramatic turnaround at Silver Jubilee Park on Saturday.

Joe White’s injury time winner sent the Waders through after a fiercely competitive battle between the two high-flying sides.

With both sides sitting fifth in their leagues at step three - Hendon having lost twice and Biggleswade once - a tight battle was expected between two sides managed by former St Albans City men James Gray and Lee Allinson.

With freezing rain sheeting down, the tie kicked-off on Hendon’s greasy artificial pitch and to a fiercely competitive tempo.

The powerful Hendon attack forced early chances, and seemed to be edging the Waders, who weren’t able to build a clear-cut chance inside 25 minutes.

A fiery midfield battle developed as the half went on and the rain poured, with crunching tackles and passionate appeals a constant.

Hendon’s powerful midfield prevented the Waders breaking through, and they overcame the visitors’ midfield at will. However, Biggleswade’s defence and excellent keeper Sam Donkin dealt brilliantly with a lot of work.

After the break, Hendon opened the scoring. A quick move earned Shaq Hippolyte-Patrick space in the box to fire high into the net.

The Waders tried to respond but struggled the threaten, until the 80th minute. Adam Pepara’s wild challenge on Matt Ball earned him a straight red card, and through Ball’s initial free-kick was charged down, he re-gathered and crossed in for Tommy Smith to power home the equaliser.

The Waders dominated the final minutes, and went agonisingly close to the winner with Joe White and Bradley Bell.

Finally they turned it around, with seconds to spare Joe White strode forward and thumped a strike at Hendon keeper Danny Boness, who couldn’t stop the shot, and it parried off his gloves and bounced into the net – sending the away dugout wild and the Waders into the third round of qualifying.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet