Biggleswade Town suffer last-gasp Hereford defeat at iconic Edgar Street

PUBLISHED: 12:41 15 February 2018 | UPDATED: 13:01 15 February 2018

Liam Brooks shapes to shoot. Credit: Martyn Haworth.

Liam Brooks shapes to shoot. Credit: Martyn Haworth.

Martyn Haworth

Biggleswade Town fell to a last-gasp Hereford winner on Saturday at Edgar Street, losing 1-0 to the Bulls after going down to 10 men.

The Waders lost their fourth Evo-Stik Southern Premier League game in five on Saturday, defeated 1-0 by fallen giants Hereford as the Waders goal shortage continued, scoring the third least in the league.

Keyon Reffell’s late winner came after an alleged hand-ball in the build up, snatching a point from the Waders after Liam Gooch saved a Lance Smith penalty and Connor Hall saw red in front of an overall attendance of 2348 at the iconic Edgar Street.

Speaking to CometSport, Biggleswade boss Chris Nunn said: “I was delighted with the performance but we actually had a chance in injury time - we’d have been thrown in prison if we’d scored that, it would have been a real smash and grab.

“Their goal was handball and it was harsh on our boys because they’d given so much but full credit to Hereford.

“We could have kept the ball better but off the ball we were outstanding. We knew we couldn’t be in full rhythm from the first minute, you’ve got to show a team like Hereford respect when you go away to them.”

The action took time to build after the game began, with very few chances until Gavin Hoyte handballed inside the 18-yard-box and a penalty was awarded.

Gooch, who boasts a solid penalty record, dived low to his right and gathered Smith’s weak effort.

Title favourites Hereford took control in the second-half, particularly after Waders vice captain Hall saw red for an elbow, after 64 minutes engaged in a physical midfield battle.

The Waders were under pressure in the final 20 minutes but defended heroically, Gooch continuing to make vital stops, playing through a knock sustained late in the game.

However Hereford won it in the final minute. In a penalty box scramble the ball hit Reffell and bounced into the corner after it was alleged the ball had struck a Hereford arm.

Nunn said: “We started the game off well, our game plan was to be compact, not concede and then go into the second half and impose ourselves.

“Our wide players tucked in and we wanted them to push out more in the second half and have a go at them. We were really happy with where we were at half-time.

“The red card made it more difficult but the boys kept digging in.”

Nunn was full of praise for 19-year-old keeper Gooch, who’s been part of the back line that has conceded the fifth least goals in the league.

Nunn added: “He was outstanding, he’s in a rich vein of form, he’s a great goalkeeper and I’m delighted to have him. He’s a good lad as well, it’s important for us to have players who buy into how we operate.”

The Waders travel to newly promoted Farnborough on Saturday after Tuesday night’s fixture against Slough Town at Langford Road was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists