Biggleswade Town new boss Lee Allinson recalls memories from his 'best years playing football' at Langford Road

PUBLISHED: 19:51 31 May 2018

New Biggleswade Town boss Lee Allinson.

New Biggleswade Town boss Lee Allinson.


Biggleswade Town new boss Lee Allinson recalls memories from his 'best years playing football' at Langford Road and reveals he 'always wanted' the Waders job.

Three years after his final season lining up in the Waders XI, Allinson has left his post as assistant to his dad Ian at St Albans City, and taken over from his legendary former boss Chris Nunn in the Waders dugout.

After joining from Arlesey Town in 2012, Allinson was Nunn’s midfield general at Biggleswade for three seasons, winning and scoring in a play-off final, playing a key role in the 144-year-old club’s most successful campaign and vice captaining the Waders.

Speaking to CometSport, Allinson said: “Playing for Biggleswade was one of the best decisions I ever made in my football career.

“They gave me a new lease of life. There was a great team spirit at the time and it was a really enjoyable place to be.

“I felt my years playing there were the best I’ve had in football.

“It was a great relationship we all had with the manager, he put a lot of trust in us and we repaid him with our performances. Chris is a fantastic man manager and he was great for me, there was no pressure.”

Allinson earned his place in the ‘Green Army’s’ hearts in his first season when, 64-minutes into the 2012-13 Southern League Division One play-off final, he lashed in a penalty to level the scores in the Waders’ 3-1 triumph over Rugby Town.

He even filled in between the sticks that season: “We were 3-0 down and the keeper had to come off.

“I played well actually. I got told off for kicking the ball too far but that was a fun memory, even though we lost 4-0.”

However, Allinson chose his second season at Langford Road as his highlight.

In the 2013/14 campaign, the Waders ‘played some fantastic football’ on their way to ninth in the Southern Premier League - then the club’s highest ever position in English football - reached the FA Cup first round proper for the first time and beat Luton Town at Kenilworth Road to win the county cup.

After a ‘tough’ 2014/15 season for Biggleswade and their newly appointed vice captain, the Waders had to fight for survival and finished 19th having lost much of the promotion winning squad, with Allinson battling through a double hernia and hip flexor injury which would prevent him from playing a full season again.

He then served as Nunn’s assistant for six months, only playing a handful of games, before joining his dad at St Albans.

Now returning to the Langford Road dugout, Allinson said: “The club is very close to my heart and I’ve always said I wanted to go back there an manage.

“In my head it was a no brainer. It was exciting and emotional that Chris recommended me, we speak nearly every day now and I’m trying to learn from him.

“It was a great few seasons, hopefully we can replicated it now and push the club back on.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the The Comet

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists