Arlesey take a point from Biggleswade

PUBLISHED: 22:04 04 January 2011

Arlesey Town

Arlesey Town


Town let slip a lead late on as local rivals share the spoils

Biggleswade Town 2 Arlesey Town 2

AFTER Arlesey had only played one game in the last 10 scheduled matches they were ready for action but could only take a point from their derby rivals.

On a pitch that credited the home side after the recent weather the game started slowly as both sides got themselves back into gear.

Adam Watkins progressed down the left and fed in Abbey who in turn fed the ball out the Chris Marsh who fired in a low accurate cross but this was easily cleared before the following forwards could connect. The Waders countered with an attack down the right that ended with a long range low shot from Paul Barnes, but this was an easy take for Richard Hayward.

Marsh had the first shot in anger but saw his 20-yard effort saved by William Viner, and the Biggleswade ‘keeper was called into action again soon after when he pushed out Lee Allinson’s free kick to Joel Mason who saw his shot blocked.

Arlesey should have gone ahead in the 12th minute when Harry Hunt crossed from the right to Abbey in the centre but he saw his header saved by the Biggleswade stopper.

The visitors were looking good and when both Adam Watkins and Marsh went close in quick succession Arlesey thought they were within striking distance.

Football is a cruel sport, however, and soon afterwards Biggleswade took the lead when Craig Radcliffe beat Stuart Sinclair and put in a cross for Lee Harman to nip in to score at the near post.

Viner was called into action against for the hosts before Stuart Sinclair was forced into making a goal line clearance for Arlesey as the play went from end to end, and Arlesey thought they had equalised just before the break only to see the normally deadly Abbey head wide of the far post.

Viner was eventually beaten at the start of the second half when Allinson, cutting in from the left, put in a cross for Hunt to volley home into the bottom corner.

Arlesey replaced Mason with Aston Goss and Biggleswade replaced James Freshwater with Scott Field on the hour mark as Arlesey pushed on.

Hunt shot wide for Arlesey as they looked for the three points that would keep them within 11 of league leaders Hitchin and Marsh beat two defenders and fed in Adam Watkins who hit his effort past the post.

Allinson tried a volley which landed on the top netting as Arlesey pushed on, and in the 72nd minutes Abbey and Hunt combined well down the left before Hunt passed to Watkins on the edge of the box who launched an unstoppable shot past Viner into the top of the net.

As Biggleswade pushed on in a effort to save the game, Paul Barnes put in a good cross that was well taken by Hayward under pressure.

The home side pushed on as time run down and with just four minutes left on the clock a cross in from the left was poked forward by Donnelly through the crowd in the box and Liam Folds touched the ball past the diving Hayward into the net to the delight of the home fans for the equaliser.

This was a good, keenly fought local derby which both sides needed after the long lay off but Arlesey will be hoping for a better result on Saturday against Leighton Town.

Arlesey Town: Hayward, Sinclair, Perpetuini, N Leach, Derek, Lee, Mason (Goss 58), Watkins (Reynolds 87), Abbey, Hunt, Marsh. Subs: M Leach, Sagwete, Ender.

Attendance: 204

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet