Fantastic run culminates in promotion for Blueharts’ men but ladies finish third
- Credit: Archant
Blueharts’ men have won promotion back up to Premier A.
The 1sts’ run of six victories in succession culminated in the side having it confirmed on Tuesday that their hard work this season had paid off.
Their promotion relied on numerous results in two different leagues going their way and them gaining points in their game at Felixstowe, which they did with a 2-2 draw thanks to goals from Adam Wells and Rob Donald.
In the rest of the club there were mixed results with the men’s 2nds losing 6-4 at home to Shefford & Sandy with goals from Paul Krishman, Dan Drew, Graham Burr and Ed Atkins. They remain in the relegation zone with a game in hand.
The 3rds lost 3-2 at West Herts to remain mid-table while the already-promoted 4ths won 5-3 at Shefford and Sandy with two goals apiece from Dan Smith and Ed McGregor and one from Paul Graves.
You may also want to watch:
The 5ths beat St Albans 4-2 thanks to an Ashley Hammond hat-trick and one from Simon Bayston. They now require a win at Berkhamsted and the 4ths to beat Bishop’s Stortford to stay up.
The 6ths, also already promoted, kept up their undefeated season with a 6-1 win at Luton. Bobby Bridge scored two while Tom Jackson, Tom Russell, Sean Storey and Mark Russell were also on target.
- 1 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 2 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 5 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
The ladies’ 1sts welcomed Brentwood to Hitchin but the game ended goalless. The team finished third in East League Division 2W, narrowly missing out on promotion.
The 2nds lost 1-0 to Leighton Buzzard in their last game of season and finished mid-table in Five Counties Premier while the 3rds did not have a game but face Shefford & Sandy next.
The 4ths were beaten 5-0 at home to top of the table and promoted Bedford to finish third in Five Counties Division Four.
Stevenage Hockey Club results: Shefford and Sandy 1sts 1 Ladies 1sts 0; 2nds v Saffron Walden 2nds (walkover for visitors); Berkhamsted 2nds 2 3rds 1 (Nicki Reynolds); 4ths 4 Broxbourne 4ths 6; Berkhamsted 3rds 2 5ths 0; Letchworth 5ths 1 6ths 1; Men 1sts 4 (Andy Gardner x2, Mark Risley, Al Lawrence) WGC 1sts 2; 2nds 2 (Richard Brendish, Andy Blaxill) 3rds 3 (Kevin Robbins, Niall Anderson, Laurie Brown); Broxbourne 4ths 1 4ths 1 (Charlie Lay); Bishop’s Stortford 5ths 5 5ths 2 (Ian Brown); 6ths 1 Southgate 3rds 3.