Fairlands Valley Spartans still going strong - virtually anyway
- Credit: PENNY SCHENKEL
Fairlands Valley Spartans have now clocked up more than 10,000 miles in their virtual race across America.
The Stevenage-based club started their virtual efforts again during November's government restrictions and a further 339 miles covered by 47 Spartans on day 50 pushed the total over the five-figure milestone.
Their most recent efforts would have seen them run the Washington (Virginia) and Philadelphia Marathons en route to the Big Apple for the New York Marathon.
Previously their combined runs took them across the historic Route 66 and other American marathons, such as Death Valley, San Francisco and Napa Valley.
For only the second time, FVS had a qualifying team in the Fly 5K inter club event and their 286 points brought them sevenths position.
This was part of the 31st Fly on Boxing Day and the team consisted of James McSweeney, who finished 42nd in a Fly PB of 23 minutes 30 seconds; Jim Brown, Nicola Andersson, Penny Schenkel and Paul Holgate.
In total there were 170 finishers.
- 1 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 4 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 5 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 6 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
- 7 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 10 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
There will be two events this week, one on New Year's Day and a second one day later.