Fairlands Valley Spartans still going strong - virtually anyway
- Credit: PENNY SCHENKEL
Fairlands Valley Spartans have now clocked up more than 10,000 miles in their virtual race across America.
The Stevenage-based club started their virtual efforts again during November's government restrictions and a further 339 miles covered by 47 Spartans on day 50 pushed the total over the five-figure milestone.
Their most recent efforts would have seen them run the Washington (Virginia) and Philadelphia Marathons en route to the Big Apple for the New York Marathon.
Previously their combined runs took them across the historic Route 66 and other American marathons, such as Death Valley, San Francisco and Napa Valley.
For only the second time, FVS had a qualifying team in the Fly 5K inter club event and their 286 points brought them sevenths position.
This was part of the 31st Fly on Boxing Day and the team consisted of James McSweeney, who finished 42nd in a Fly PB of 23 minutes 30 seconds; Jim Brown, Nicola Andersson, Penny Schenkel and Paul Holgate.
In total there were 170 finishers.
- 1 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon
- 2 Appeal to sign petition over future of ancient woodland in Stevenage
- 3 How many people in Stevenage were fined for breaking COVID-19 laws?
- 4 SG1 regeneration officially under way as holding direction is lifted
- 5 Man sentenced for smashing garage window, assault and drugs offences
- 6 New stewards employed to crack down on breaches of COVID-19 regulations
- 7 Hitchin schoolboy Alex Kirk signs professional deal with Arsenal
- 8 'Incredible community spirit' pays for boy's medical chest brace after shock diagnosis
- 9 Do you have memories of Stevenage's Bowes Lyon skate park for history book?
- 10 Dogwalker dismayed after discovering more than 50 bags of poo on his walk
There will be two events this week, one on New Year's Day and a second one day later.