Fairlands Valley Spartans still going strong - virtually anyway
- Credit: PENNY SCHENKEL
Fairlands Valley Spartans have now clocked up more than 10,000 miles in their virtual race across America.
The Stevenage-based club started their virtual efforts again during November's government restrictions and a further 339 miles covered by 47 Spartans on day 50 pushed the total over the five-figure milestone.
Their most recent efforts would have seen them run the Washington (Virginia) and Philadelphia Marathons en route to the Big Apple for the New York Marathon.
Previously their combined runs took them across the historic Route 66 and other American marathons, such as Death Valley, San Francisco and Napa Valley.
For only the second time, FVS had a qualifying team in the Fly 5K inter club event and their 286 points brought them sevenths position.
This was part of the 31st Fly on Boxing Day and the team consisted of James McSweeney, who finished 42nd in a Fly PB of 23 minutes 30 seconds; Jim Brown, Nicola Andersson, Penny Schenkel and Paul Holgate.
In total there were 170 finishers.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 4 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 5 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 6 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 7 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 8 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
There will be two events this week, one on New Year's Day and a second one day later.