England man shines as Spurs U21s trounce Porto B in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
England international Andros Townsend was the star attraction at Stevenage’s Lamex Stadium this afternoon (Wednesday) as Spurs U21s comfortably beat Porto B 4-0 in the Premier League International Cup.
Shaquile Coulthirst struck a first half brace with Anton Walkes and substitute Emmanuel Sonupe adding to that after the break as the English side saw off their Portuguese visitors.
Porto started brightly and went close as Luis Trabulo drilled just over Tom Glover’s goal from the edge of the box.
Though it was Tottenham’s Coulthirst who opened the scoring on the half-hour mark.
The forward smashed home from inside the six yard box after visiting keeper, and captain, Andre Caio could only parry Josh Onomah’s drive.
Just four minutes later ex-Southend United loanee Coulthirst was in the right place again to finish after Caio palmed away Walkes’ effort to give the White Hart Lane side a 2-0 half-time advantage.
After the break Porto improved, however they rarely threatened.
- 1 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 2 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 3 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Letchworth and Baldock
- 6 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 7 Man wanted in connection with police officer assault could be in Hitchin
- 8 Lloyds Bank in Letchworth to shut as closures announced across the UK
- 9 End of an era? Future of Crucial Crew scheme relies on new co-ordinators
- 10 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
With 20 minutes to go Spurs went close as a Townsend free-kick was delivered into the box from the right flank, Filip Lesniak dummied and Harry Winks saw his fierce shot blocked by Ciao.
With a rare chance for Porto, following a mis-placed Spurs pass at the back, Leonardo Ruiz rifled well over.
Soon after Spurs netted their third as the impressive Townsend galloped away, beating the offside flag, and slotting across goal for Walkes to tap into an empty net.
The scoring was concluded by Sonupe who fired past Caio from inside the box.
Just before the end Townsend tricked his way past his marker and sent a curler just wide missing out on the goal his performance deserved in what was a dominant Spurs display.
Spurs U21s: Glover, Walker Peters, Amos, Lesniak, Carter-Vickers, Veljkovic, Townsend, Winks, Coulthirst (Harrison 71), Walkes (Sonupe 77), Onomah (Miller 46).
Subs: Georgiou, McDermott.
FC Porto: Caio, Mauricio, Trabulo, Soares, Moreira, Ruiz, Moreira (Pedro 75), C Riberio, Varela (Santos 58), S Ribeiro (Cassama 58), Verdasca.
Subs: Costa, Fernandes, Fonseca, Santos, Mata.