The North Herts Women s Bowling Association played their first match of the season at Royston Bowls Club on Sunday. It was also the second match of their 60th anniversary season for opponents Letchworth and District Men s Bowling Association. President of
The North Herts Women's Bowling Association played their first match of the season at Royston Bowls Club on Sunday.
It was also the second match of their 60th anniversary season for opponents Letchworth and District Men's Bowling Association.
President of North Herts Women's Bowling Association, Diane Porter, and president of Letchworth and District Men's Bowling Association, Ron Adams, were welcomed to Royston.
The club's greens were handed over to the two visiting presidents for the afternoon by their president Eunice Dockree.
It was an afternoon of presidents playing at Royston as also playing in the NHWBA team was Jenny Ralph, the president of the Herts County Women's Bowling Association.
Both teams of players enjoyed the beautiful sunny afternoon.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
During the first half of the game three of the ladies' rinks forged ahead, putting their side in front by several shots.
However during the second half of the game the ladies lost some momentum and the match finished with them only winning on two rinks.
Rink six, skipped by Ralph, took the ladies' highest winning rink prize for winning by six shots, and rink three, skipped by Porter, came a close second for winning by five shots.
The biggest winners for the men were Norman Parke (Hitchin Town), John Devereux and Bob Ralph (Whitethorn) and skip Colin Wilson (Royston Town) who defeated the rink skipped by Shirley Houghton (Holwell) 27-18.
The result was an overall win for the Letchworth and District Men's Bowling Association by 123 shots to 101.
Other results (skips only): T Ware 21, Y Whitehouse 16; D Sheriff 20, D Porter 25; L Lane 21, G Calver 17; D Webb 19, A Graves 10; N Houghton 15, J Ralph 23.