Eight members of FA Amateur Cup team back together
Eight members of Hitchin s 1961 FA Amateur Cup semi-final team assembled at Top Field last Thursday night for an emotional reunion. The 1961 team was reunited as part of the players reunion evening at the club involving players from the 1940s through to
Eight members of Hitchin's 1961 FA Amateur Cup semi-final team assembled at Top Field last Thursday night for an emotional reunion.
The 1961 team was reunited as part of the players' reunion evening at the club involving players from the 1940s through to the 1970s. More than 80 people attended to make the evening a big success.
"We've been trying to do something like this for some years," said Hitchin Town's media officer Neil Jensen.
"It's important to recognise the heritage that a club like Hitchin has, and equally important to remind people that we have had some very successful periods in our history.
"We were once one of the leading amateur clubs in the country - thanks to players like these."
Players attending the event included Claude Brown, who made his debut in 1939, Dennis Chapman, a stalwart from the 1940s, Ray Kitchener who went on to play for Chelsea and Norwich, Luton Town's Wembley goalscorer David Pacey and 1970s hero Paul Giggle.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 3 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 4 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 5 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 6 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Hitchin widower's wing walk in wife's memory
- 9 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
The Canaries' first England international, Peter Hammond, was also one of the special guests.
Speaking at the event, one member of the 1961 team, Terry Waldock, said: "We had a great team spirit in those days and we loved playing for the club. I think we had something that you don't get today."
Hitchin plan to host another reunion next season, focusing on players from the 1970s.
Pictured are back row: Tommy Everitt, Derek Turner, Dennis Gibbs and Roger Figg.
Front row: Terry Craddock, Bruce Spavins, Terry Waldock and Peter Cox.