Easy route for Town
Tuesday night round-up Hitchin Town strolled into the second round of the Herts Senior Cup where they will meet Bishop s Stortford at home. Striker Josh Sozzo scored a hat-trick as Darren Salton s men completely outplayed South Midlands League visitors Tr
Tuesday night round-up
Hitchin Town strolled into the second round of the Herts Senior Cup where they will meet Bishop's Stortford at home.
Striker Josh Sozzo scored a hat-trick as Darren Salton's men completely outplayed South Midlands League visitors Tring Athletic in a 5-0 rout.
It did not take long for the Canaries to open the scoring, Mark Bridge flicking home at the near post following a corner after two minutes.
Hitchin's second goal came after 10 minutes, Gavin Jaggard's shot parried by goalkeeper Gary White and Sozzo finished from close range.
Jaggard and Sozzo linked up again in the 28th minute, with Sozzo grabbing his second goal of the game. By half time, Hitchin could have doubled their score.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 3 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 4 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 5 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 6 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 7 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 9 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 10 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
It was constant pressure from the Canaries in the second half and Bridge struck the woodwork after 56 minutes.
A minute later, Rob Beckwith was tested for the first time in the Hitchin goal.
On 78 minutes, Bridge scored his second goal with an overhead kick following a goalmouth scramble.
Teenager Scott Orphanou thought he had also netted when his effort was ruled out for offside.
The final goal of the night came from Sozzo, who applied the finishing touch following another goalmouth melee.
Canaries: Beckwith, Pugh, Ducket, Cretton, Hammonds, Lamacraft (Ross 71), Bridge, Miller, Jaggard (Gillard 84), Sozzo, French (Orphanou 65).
P Stotfold were hit for six in a league match at St Ives.
The home side's first goal came in the 25th minute when Stefan Lewis headed in from a free-kick taken in the centre circle.
Lee Downham cleared a corner off the line at the back post before Liam Kennett got the second on 37 minutes, a diagonal ball putting him clean through to lift the ball past Tony Harvey.
A push in the box was enough for the referee to give a penalty at the end of the half, which was tucked into the bottom corner by captain Will Fordham.
Jason King got the fourth on the hour mark when he shot through Harvey from close range. A diving header at the far post from a free-kick on the right put Lewis on the scoresheet again. Sub James Clarke got the last goal of the night and made it 6-0 when he flicked in a ball across the box a quarter of an hour from time.
Rokermen: Harvey, Rennie (C Donnelly), Philbin, Geraghty, Mitchell, Taylor, Alcide, Nichol, Furness, Thorne, Downham (Leon).