Duo play well up in Edinburgh
Two players from Letchworth Golf Club flew up to Scotland to compete in the finals of the Daily Mail Foursomes. Chris Holden and Mike Harcourt performed well at the Marriott Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club in Kirknewton, Edinburgh. The pair were classifie
Two players from Letchworth Golf Club flew up to Scotland to compete in the finals of the Daily Mail Foursomes.
Chris Holden and Mike Harcourt performed well at the Marriott Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club in Kirknewton, Edinburgh.
The pair were classified as losing quarter-finalists - or in the top eight out of 190,000 entrants from almost 3,000 clubs across the UK - at the end of the finals.
Due to wet weather and strong winds, the event had to be shortened into a stableford competition rather than the matchplay format that the Letchworth pair had played for the previous 13 matches.
You may also want to watch:
This meant that on the Monday there was one round for all 16 teams with the top four clubs progressing to the final the following day.
The leading score was 30 points, second place had 28 points and Letchworth were tied third on 27 points and unfortunately lost out on countback.
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 4 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 5 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 6 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 7 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 8 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 9 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 10 Urgent appeal to fix charity's leaky roof
The four remaining teams played on the Tuesday morning with the winners - Great Torrington from Devon - getting 35 points in conditions that were only slightly better than the previous day.
Letchworth played with the other 12 teams in another stableford on the second course, with the top four teams being given the quarter-finalists prizes.
The duo had another steady round, getting 35 points to finish third equal again, but this time they did not lose out on countback!
Holden said: "This is a wonderful event and we both feel privileged to have represented Letchworth Golf Club in the finals. Maybe next year we will go one step further.