Duo fighting in the national semis
TWO Stevenage boxers are in the national Golden Gloves schoolboy semi-finals this weekend. Terry Holmes and Tyson Price will be fighting at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, on Saturday. The 15-year-old Holmes was an emphatic winner against the much fancied S
TWO Stevenage boxers are in the national Golden Gloves schoolboy semi-finals this weekend.
Terry Holmes and Tyson Price will be fighting at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, on Saturday.
The 15-year-old Holmes was an emphatic winner against the much fancied Sonic Harris of Dagenham Police, who was boxing in his home town of Purfleet.
Harris, who had lost just three of his previous 20 bouts, was never allowed to settle by Holmes.
Holmes constantly backed him up with powerful hooks to head and body to run out a clear points winner.
Price, in the under-38kgs section, had a hard-earned win over Perry Lovejoy (Newham ABC, London).
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 9 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 10 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
He lost a close first round but made up ground in round two with some crisp counter punching. A big last round saw him catch the advancing Lovejoy with solid punches.
Tommy Grice was less fortunate at under-36kgs in his contest against in-form Luke Bates (Earlsfield ABC, South London). A good final round could not disguise Bates' dominance in the opening two rounds.
Ryan Smith, at under-52kgs, seemed unlucky to lose a majority decision after taking an eight count in round one against Manny Essex (Danson Youth, London).
He fought back well in rounds two and three, although the judges still scored the contest to Essex.
* Senior light-middleweight Barry Greneway made a stunning debut at the Pontins Holiday Club, Pakefield.
Greneway, boxing on the Lowestoft ABC dinner show, dispatched his hapless Cambridge ABC opponent within 40 seconds as the referee was forced to call a halt.