Dream’s now over

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League Newcotech s chances of a Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup quarter-final place were blown away by Hornsmill United from the East Herts Corinthian League in extra-time. Their opponents had scored 48 goals in their sev

The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League

Newcotech's chances of a Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup quarter-final place were blown away by Hornsmill United from the East Herts Corinthian League in extra-time.

Their opponents had scored 48 goals in their seven league games, and halfway through the first-half, had two attacks in as many minutes which led to goals.

The second-half was a different story as Newcotech came out all guns blazing, but initially unable to reduce the deficit.

Then, with just 15 minutes left, two subs had an immediate effect as firstly, Lee McCarthy cut in and slotted home. Then they forced a corner which Danny Hukin headed home from 12 yards to force extra-time.

It was to be a non-event as two goals in each half saw the Hertford side home with ease.

Most Read

Just Probuild remain now and they travel to Apoel on March 11.

Bottles Res went through to a second round KLM Challenge Cup meeting with Norwich Union this Sunday as Rob Duckworth killed off a dogged Granby St George in extra-time.

After a goalless first-half, he put them in front. However, Greg Bradbury's strike sent the game to an extra 30 minutes.

Roared on by their first team, the Division Three side took control once again as Duckworth firstly scored after Phil Childs' 30-yard volley came back off the bar, then completed his hat-trick in the second period.

In the second round ties, there were some real crackers!

Bedwell Athletic were involved in a battle against Division One leaders Pin Green.

The Premier Division's leading scorer Joel Mason opened the scoring after half an hour after some initial pressure. Within five minutes, Division One top scorer Richard Griffiths replied in kind.

The rest of the game as well as extra-time saw no further score so the teams went down to the lottery of spot-kicks.

Alex Headington was the hero with the decider and celebrated with a double somersault celebration. Pin Green now meet Probuild in the quarter-finals.

Another cracking cup tie saw Mallard take the lead through Ian Baker after some good one-touch football. Old Red Lion equalised in the last minute when Danny Hillard netted from the spot after Joe Delasalle was brought down.

Delasalle found the net brilliantly in extra-time but Craig Reynolds forced penalties with 10 minutes left.

Mallard converted all five penalties, with goalkeeper Simon Page netting the winner, and they now meet Bottles.

Leeroy Odd fired home a hat-trick as Bottles saw off Royal Oak. Lee Horsley added a header while a Ben Evans cross-shot had given Oak hope.

Dun Cow made heavy going of a Pig and Whistle side in the mood for an upset.

Pig and Whistle made the breakthrough thanks to John Johnston but went down to 10 men due to Tom Montague's red card as he conceded a penalty. Adam Furness easily converted to level.

The second-half saw Cow raise their game and take the lead through Shaun Marshall with a crisp header at the near post.

Ten-man Pig levelled with 10 minutes to go through Darren Bartlett. Just as extra-time seemed on the horizon, Furness despatched from the spot again. They now meet AFC Proverbial.

It looked like Station were going to win a dour tie after Trevor Hoyte put through his own net. However, in the last minute, Division One Peartree were level through Steve Cobb and extra-time was needed.

Elliot Bunn headed home a corner to put the Premier side back in front but James Khakpour-Smith levelled again.

Almost immediately, Ryan Skeggs won the tie and they now meet the winners of the Bottles Res/Norwich Union.

Lee Allinson's free-kick found the head of Kenny Slack to give Probuild the lead in the only tie with no Premier involvement.

Allinson then scored direct from the same scenario before MBDA hit back through Alex Lawrence's excellent finish.

In the second-half, both sides hit the woodwork (MBDA having also missed a penalty) but Probuild clinched it through Craig Hadley.

In the only Premier Division game, champions and leaders Nirankari Sports Sabha were back to winning ways after three successive draws. Graham Austin (hat-trick), Andrew Levy (two) and Leeroy Williams were on target. Broadhall made a game of it and replied through Alan Widdows (two) and Anthony Edwards.

The spotlight was on the bottom of Division One. Coopers got off to a quick start against Aston Athletic through captain Tom Bradshaw from the spot after Christian Goodyear was upended.

Aston were level immediately after the break via Kelvin Starr. Coopers replied with two in five minutes via Danny Wardell's looping header and Goodyear before Wardell turned supplier when his corner found Bradshaw.

Stevenage Colts Old Boys were comfortable winners over SCS (Gary Hillard). Steve Bush (two), Barry Hazelton, James Marshall, Simon Cornish and Steve Payne were on target.

Division Two leaders FC Rising Sun won comfortably against a 10-man Rapidsource. Luke Mitchell (two), Chris Bunker, Kologo Richards, John Hughes and Lee Kitching were on target. Ryan Clifford and Gary Pitts replied.

ProCladd dominated before Mark Montague scored his first goal of the season for Crooked Billet.

Josh Watson then doubled the lead only for ProCladd to pull one back as George Rowe netted.

It was all over when Billet skipper Lee Falanga turned a couple of players and played a through ball to Montague to finish in similar style.

White Horse went a long way towards the Division Three title as they stretched their lead to eight points over Bottles Res with just seven games remaining.

Despite Darren Curry giving North Herts Celtic the lead early on, they equalised through league top scorer Jason Lovelock who then netted from the spot for his 23rd league goal of the season.

On the hour, James Flynn was thrown on and promptly grabbed a 15-minute hat-trick! His shot then saw a defender put through his own goal before Sam Lemoir pulled another back.

Horse manager Lee Pomroy brought himself on for only his second cameo appearance of the season and he bagged one from outside the box.

Chequers' horrible run continued as Fox put them to the sword. Gary Henniker (four), Kevin Ward (two) and Matt Arlick did the damage.

Athletico Timebridge took MC Racing all the way in Division Three.

Richard O'Donovan put the fourth-placed side in front before Sam Delasalle equalised before the break.

O'Donovan netted again but Daniel Carroll again restored parity. Steve Teale and James Cox won the game but not before Dave Herbert gave them a late fright.

Twin Foxes took an early lead courtesy of Tony Davies before Rileys equalised with a dipping 30-yarder from Dan Barnes. Pete Duffy restored Foxes' lead and Rob Smith found the net in the last minute.

Steve Stapleton's penalty put MBDA Res in front at the break before Sam Bickerstaff directed a Terry Lock effort into his own goal to bring AFC Stevenage level.

Louis Hare restored the lead with a 20-yard strike before Lock floated an audacious effort from 45 yards to equalise again.

Sam Bickerstaff made amends with a terrific volley, but Lock was there again for what seemed like a point.

MBDA were awarded a dubious penalty on Stapleton who finished the game how he had started it.

In the ensuing protests, Lock was sent-off for verbally abusing the female referee.

A John Vooght hat-trick saw Hermit of Redcoats nick the Invitation Cup points at Breachwood Lions.

* Compiled by Darren Statto Jones (statto@cssfl.co.uk, www.cssfl.co.uk)


Sunday, February 18

Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup, fifth round: Newcotech 2 Hornsmill Utd 6 (aet).

KLM Challenge Cup, first round: Bottles Res 3 Granby St George 1 (aet).

KLM Challenge Cup, second round: Bedwell Ath 1 Pin Green 1 (aet, Bedwell won 4-2 on pens), Bottles 4 Royal Oak 1, Dun Cow 3 Pig and Whistle 2, Mallard 1 Old Red Lion 1 (aet, Mallard won 5-3 on pens), MBDA 1 Probuild 3, Station 3 Peartree 2 (aet).

Premier Division: Nirankari SS 6 Broadhall 3.

Division One: Coopers 4 Aston Ath 1, Stev Colts OB 6 SCS 1.

Division Two: King Pin Utd v Old Social (off), ProCladd 1 Crooked Billet 3, Rapidsource 2 FC Rising Sun 6.

Division Three: AFC Stev 3 MBDA Res 4, Fox 7 Chequers 0, MC Racing 4 Ath Timebridge 3, Twin Foxes 3 Rileys 1, White Horse 7 North Herts Celtic 2.

Invitation Cup: Breachwood L 3 Hermit of Redcoats 4.


Sunday, February 25

KLM Challenge Cup, second round: Bottles Res v Norwich Union (KG1).

Premier Division Cup, quarter-finals: Bottles v Dun Cow (MP), Nirankari SS v Station (10.15, Bald).

Division One Cup, quarter-finals: Probuild v Stev Colts OB (CP2).

Premier Division: Bedwell Ath v AFC Proverbial (HP2), Mallard v Hermit of Redcoats (KG3), Old Red Lion v Broadhall (10.30, SP5).

Division One: Aston Ath v Pig and Whistle (CP1), MBDA v SCS (Barc), Peartree v Royal Oak (PP1), Pin Green v Coopers (CW1).

Division Two: Crooked Billet v Newcotech (KG2), Granby St George v Triage (CP3), Old Social v FC Rising Sun (RE5), Rapidsource v ProCladd (PP5).

Division Three: AFC Stev v MC Racing (10.00, SP3), Ath Timebridge v Rileys (RE4), Chequers v MBDA Res (10.30, SP1), Fox v White Horse (RE3), North Herts Celtic v Twin Foxes (CW4).

(cup games kick-off 10am, league games 10.15am, unless otherwise stated)