Double cup disappointment
THERE was Vase disappointment for Stotfold and Arlesey Athletic in first round qualifying ties over the weekend. A disputed penalty decision helped Stotfold to a 3-1 home defeat by Wellingborough on Saturday. The visitors took the lead after half an hour
THERE was Vase disappointment for Stotfold and Arlesey Athletic in first round qualifying ties over the weekend.
A disputed penalty decision helped Stotfold to a 3-1 home defeat by Wellingborough on Saturday.
The visitors took the lead after half an hour when Jon Mitchell headed past the isolated last defender before running on and shooting low beyond Nigel Blower.
Stotfold ensured parity at the break by equalising on 39 minutes. The ball was flicked forward on the right from Jermaine Daley to Ian Thorne who ran past a defender and sent a low left-footed shot past the keeper.
Thorne nearly scored again after the break as his shot was cleared off the line by a defender.
The pivotal moment of the tie arrived on the hour mark. A throw on the left saw Jamie Gilsenan run into the box and be tackled by Daley. The ref pointed to the spot and Darren Collins cracked the ball down the middle from the resulting kick.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 3 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 7 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 8 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 9 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 10 Still more to come too says Brett Donnelly as Stotfold's title challenge is given a boost
It became 3-1 to effectively seal Wellingborough's progress seven minutes later as Mitchell burst past three defenders and fired low to the far corner.
Rokermen: N Blower, Alcide, Purton, Geraghty, Drury, Beckett, Daley (Holmes 84), Nichol, Blows (Turner 74), Thorne, S Blower (Philbin 82).
Arlesey Athletic were beaten 2-0 by Wootton Blue Cross in Sunday's tie at Arlesey Town's Raj Villa Stadium. Craig Daniel scored twice for the UCL Premier Division outfit.