Double cup disappointment
THERE was Vase disappointment for Stotfold and Arlesey Athletic in first round qualifying ties over the weekend. A disputed penalty decision helped Stotfold to a 3-1 home defeat by Wellingborough on Saturday. The visitors took the lead after half an hour
THERE was Vase disappointment for Stotfold and Arlesey Athletic in first round qualifying ties over the weekend.
A disputed penalty decision helped Stotfold to a 3-1 home defeat by Wellingborough on Saturday.
The visitors took the lead after half an hour when Jon Mitchell headed past the isolated last defender before running on and shooting low beyond Nigel Blower.
Stotfold ensured parity at the break by equalising on 39 minutes. The ball was flicked forward on the right from Jermaine Daley to Ian Thorne who ran past a defender and sent a low left-footed shot past the keeper.
Thorne nearly scored again after the break as his shot was cleared off the line by a defender.
The pivotal moment of the tie arrived on the hour mark. A throw on the left saw Jamie Gilsenan run into the box and be tackled by Daley. The ref pointed to the spot and Darren Collins cracked the ball down the middle from the resulting kick.
- 1 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 2 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 5 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 6 Hitchin Boys head to National Athletics Final
- 7 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 8 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 9 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 10 Alice, 10, set to chop long locks for Ukraine aid
It became 3-1 to effectively seal Wellingborough's progress seven minutes later as Mitchell burst past three defenders and fired low to the far corner.
Rokermen: N Blower, Alcide, Purton, Geraghty, Drury, Beckett, Daley (Holmes 84), Nichol, Blows (Turner 74), Thorne, S Blower (Philbin 82).
Arlesey Athletic were beaten 2-0 by Wootton Blue Cross in Sunday's tie at Arlesey Town's Raj Villa Stadium. Craig Daniel scored twice for the UCL Premier Division outfit.