Dobbo helps ladies beat high-flying Sudbury
LETCHWORTH Ladies continued their excellent recent form with a fine 3-2 East Premier League win over high-flying Sudbury. Sudbury, currently second in the league, came to Whitethorn Lane in excellent form themselves. But they had no real answer to Letchwo
LETCHWORTH Ladies continued their excellent recent form with a fine 3-2 East Premier League win over high-flying Sudbury.
Sudbury, currently second in the league, came to Whitethorn Lane in excellent form themselves.
But they had no real answer to Letchworth's commitment and attacking play in a game in which the scoreline did not reflect the true balance of play.
Letchworth had the better of the first half although neither side was able to find the net.
You may also want to watch:
However, just eight minutes after the break, Letchworth deservedly took the lead through Amanda Wood from a penalty corner.
The Suffolk side levelled within a minute after some rather sloppy defensive work, but Wood's second - her 22nd of the season - following a fine break down the right by Charlie Gibson, deservedly restored the lead within five minutes.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 9 6 things to do in North Herts during the summer holidays
- 10 Stevenage celebrates its 75th birthday: Editor's letter
Laura Dobson notched a third soon after to seal the result.
Although the visitors pulled one back two minutes from the end, Letchworth remained well in control for a deserved victory.
Other scores: Letchworth Ladies II 3 (Jenny Stroomer, Deborah Wren two) Welwyn II 0; Hertford II 0 Letchworth Ladies III 3 (Jo Pinn, Sue Saunders, Lesley Saunders); Cheshunt II 1 Letchworth Ladies IV 0.
Stevenage Ladies won by a single goal against Bury St Edmunds seconds thanks to a strike from Claire Young.
Other scores: Stevenage Ladies II 1 (Elmarie Gunther) Royston 0; Stevenage Ladies IV 0 Saffron Walden IV 2.
The third team of Blueharts Ladies are celebrating promotion.
They enjoyed an 8-0 win at home to Leighton Buzzard which completes a great season for this new team.
Caroline Lesage started the scoring, new girl Jenni Stewart added four, and Amy Belletty netted a fine hat-trick.
The league runners-up are now looking forward to the challenge after promotion.
Captain Sam Addison puts the team's success down to a blend of exciting new talent together with more experienced players.
Great club coaching has also made an impact, and this takes place on Thursdays at Hitchin Boys' School until Easter (7-8.30pm).