Dobbo helps ladies beat high-flying Sudbury
LETCHWORTH Ladies continued their excellent recent form with a fine 3-2 East Premier League win over high-flying Sudbury. Sudbury, currently second in the league, came to Whitethorn Lane in excellent form themselves. But they had no real answer to Letchwo
LETCHWORTH Ladies continued their excellent recent form with a fine 3-2 East Premier League win over high-flying Sudbury.
Sudbury, currently second in the league, came to Whitethorn Lane in excellent form themselves.
But they had no real answer to Letchworth's commitment and attacking play in a game in which the scoreline did not reflect the true balance of play.
Letchworth had the better of the first half although neither side was able to find the net.
You may also want to watch:
However, just eight minutes after the break, Letchworth deservedly took the lead through Amanda Wood from a penalty corner.
The Suffolk side levelled within a minute after some rather sloppy defensive work, but Wood's second - her 22nd of the season - following a fine break down the right by Charlie Gibson, deservedly restored the lead within five minutes.
- 1 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 4 Bringing home the bacon: Martyn's joy at Radio 1 rasher fame
- 5 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 6 Man left seriously injured after motorcycle crash
- 7 Urgent appeal to fix charity's leaky roof
- 8 Baby boutique born in lockdown welcomes first customers
- 9 Venue loss forces lifeline community group to close
- 10 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
Laura Dobson notched a third soon after to seal the result.
Although the visitors pulled one back two minutes from the end, Letchworth remained well in control for a deserved victory.
Other scores: Letchworth Ladies II 3 (Jenny Stroomer, Deborah Wren two) Welwyn II 0; Hertford II 0 Letchworth Ladies III 3 (Jo Pinn, Sue Saunders, Lesley Saunders); Cheshunt II 1 Letchworth Ladies IV 0.
Stevenage Ladies won by a single goal against Bury St Edmunds seconds thanks to a strike from Claire Young.
Other scores: Stevenage Ladies II 1 (Elmarie Gunther) Royston 0; Stevenage Ladies IV 0 Saffron Walden IV 2.
The third team of Blueharts Ladies are celebrating promotion.
They enjoyed an 8-0 win at home to Leighton Buzzard which completes a great season for this new team.
Caroline Lesage started the scoring, new girl Jenni Stewart added four, and Amy Belletty netted a fine hat-trick.
The league runners-up are now looking forward to the challenge after promotion.
Captain Sam Addison puts the team's success down to a blend of exciting new talent together with more experienced players.
Great club coaching has also made an impact, and this takes place on Thursdays at Hitchin Boys' School until Easter (7-8.30pm).