Delight for Stevenage boss Maamria as new system produces results in 3-0 win over Carlisle
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Stevenage boss Dino Maamria was pleased to see Boro’s new system continue to produce results, after a dominant 3-0 win over Carlisle United at the Lamex in Sky Bet League Two on Saturday afternoon.
Maamria switched to three at the back against Grimsby last weekend and saw his side win 2-0. The Tunisian deciding to stick with the system this weekend, and they went on better with a 3-0 scoreline.
Terence Vancooten has been drafted in alongside Scott Cuthbert and Ben Nugent at the back, while Joe Martin has been reintroduced at left-wing back having spent most of the season out of favour.
The pair were praised by Maamria, who has taken a lot of positives from the past two games after five goals and two clean sheets.
“Changing the system is something I’ve been thinking of doing for a while,” he explained.
You may also want to watch:
“The players have adapted really well to it.
“I brought Terence Vancooten in last week and he was very good today. It’s important to have wing-backs who are good with the ball going forward, we’ve got that in Joe Martin and Luther.
- 1 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Police hunt wanted man in connection with assault and harassment
- 3 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 4 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 6 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 7 Aerial acrobatics show to be performed in the heart of Stevenage town centre
- 8 Fraudster to repay victim £87k more than decade after conviction
- 9 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 10 Primary school's Early Years team achieves award for quality standards
“We had energy in midfield and Kurtis and Ilias will always cause problems.
“The player application is the most important thing. They have to have the willingness to run more.
“Since the change of system, we’ve scored five goals in two games and kept two clean sheets. I’ve taken a lot of positives from those games.”