Did you play in the same team?
A former ace marksman has responded to a recent article in The Comet about junior football scoring records. Mike Ward scored nine goals during one game in the 1955-6 season when he was playing for Icknield under-16s. The team beat Wymondley Boys Club 25-0
A former ace marksman has responded to a recent article in The Comet about junior football scoring records.
Mike Ward scored nine goals during one game in the 1955-6 season when he was playing for Icknield under-16s.
The team beat Wymondley Boys Club 25-0 at their ground in the North Herts League for under-16s.
Icknield went on to win that league, also the League Cup, the Chiltern Under-16 League and the Herts FA Under-16 Youth Cup.
The team was: back row, l-r: Dave Muncey, Dave Bedwell, Trevor Hudson. Middle: Pete Oakley, Dave Bacon, Jack West. Front: Mick Ward, Alan Bell, Ted French, Mick Moss, Phil Bethel.
Other players not in the photo were Ray Chalkley and Barry Gardener and the manager was Dennis Hare.
- 1 New date for Stevenage Marks & Spencer opening
- 2 Bag a bargain for charity! £1.50 per kilo at air ambulance warehouse sale
- 3 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 4 'No action' after sports pavilions demolished
- 5 Can you help golf star Jack on his professional journey?
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 Couple sentenced for theft and fraud after stealing from elderly victims
- 8 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 9 Trial date set for Met police officer from Stevenage accused of rape
- 10 Two boys arrested after police helicopter search
If you know the whereabouts of the team members, please email Mike on: email@example.com
* The current brigade - both boys and girls - also know where the back of the net is.
Junior Morrison plays for Hitchin Town Youth under-16s and he is well on the way to keeping up his amazing goalscoring record this season.
In each of the last five seasons of playing 11-a-side football, Junior has scored a minimum of 50 goals each year, with his best an impressive 65.
And the Stevenage Boro Juniors under-12 girls striker Amy Makewell set the team's record in October when she scored seven goals in one game.
The game was a league match at home against Barnet Azzuri and Boro won 8-1.