Did you play in the same team?
A former ace marksman has responded to a recent article in The Comet about junior football scoring records. Mike Ward scored nine goals during one game in the 1955-6 season when he was playing for Icknield under-16s. The team beat Wymondley Boys Club 25-0
A former ace marksman has responded to a recent article in The Comet about junior football scoring records.
Mike Ward scored nine goals during one game in the 1955-6 season when he was playing for Icknield under-16s.
The team beat Wymondley Boys Club 25-0 at their ground in the North Herts League for under-16s.
Icknield went on to win that league, also the League Cup, the Chiltern Under-16 League and the Herts FA Under-16 Youth Cup.
You may also want to watch:
The team was: back row, l-r: Dave Muncey, Dave Bedwell, Trevor Hudson. Middle: Pete Oakley, Dave Bacon, Jack West. Front: Mick Ward, Alan Bell, Ted French, Mick Moss, Phil Bethel.
Other players not in the photo were Ray Chalkley and Barry Gardener and the manager was Dennis Hare.
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 8 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
If you know the whereabouts of the team members, please email Mike on: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The current brigade - both boys and girls - also know where the back of the net is.
Junior Morrison plays for Hitchin Town Youth under-16s and he is well on the way to keeping up his amazing goalscoring record this season.
In each of the last five seasons of playing 11-a-side football, Junior has scored a minimum of 50 goals each year, with his best an impressive 65.
And the Stevenage Boro Juniors under-12 girls striker Amy Makewell set the team's record in October when she scored seven goals in one game.
The game was a league match at home against Barnet Azzuri and Boro won 8-1.