Derby day drubbing
Men s hockey round-up There was a derby day drubbing for Stevenage as Letchworth ended their losing streak in style. Dave Gentry (two), Matt Smith and Chris Wharton scored the goals in their 4-0 win. Ian Heywood scored twice as Letchworth seconds won 2-0
Men's hockey round-up
There was a derby day drubbing for Stevenage as Letchworth ended their losing streak in style.
Dave Gentry (two), Matt Smith and Chris Wharton scored the goals in their 4-0 win.
Ian Heywood scored twice as Letchworth seconds won 2-0 at Bishop's Stortford 2nds.
Stevenage seconds avoided the drop on the final day as two goals from Roger Barlow secured a 2-0 win over Harpenden 2nds.
Stevenage thirds (Harp Mann two, Dan Parker two and Paul Youster) beat their Letchworth counterparts (Robbie Balsom two, Ashley Brown and Matt Wade) in a nine-goal thriller.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 3 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 4 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 5 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 6 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Hitchin widower's wing walk in wife's memory
- 9 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
Other scores: Winchmore Hill and Enfield III 2 Letchworth IV 5 (Ben Abbott hat-trick, Nick Hawkes and Jack Fraser); Rickmansworth IV 5 Letchworth V 1 (Gary Puttnam); Stevenage IV 1 (Seb Rose) West Herts V 6.
There was a good end to the season for Blueharts as they beat their rivals Bedford 4-2 to finish sixth in East Premier A.
Harts took the lead when Jimmy Lewis ran in from 25 yards out, rounded the goalie and fired the ball back across the goal into the far corner.
Bedford hit back straight away from a well-worked short corner.
Harts regained the lead minutes later as Lewis squared a ball for Ashley Hammond to slot home. But again Bedford hit back with another penalty corner.
Despite having to play 10 minutes with nine men due to injuries and a yellow card, Harts held on until the break.
The second half saw Harts battle for every ball, playing most of it with 10 men due to more detabable umpiring decisions. Harts took the lead when Colin Burnell converted a short corner, firing the ball hard into the bottom corner.
They scored again five minutes from time when John Barrett won the ball back in front of the Bedford goal and set up Hammond for his second of the day.
Man of the match Gillan Ide produced an outstanding performance at sweeper.
The seconds gave a spirited performance at Chelmsford 3rds in their penultimate game of the season before losing 4-3. Tim Price (two) and Phil Britton scored their goals.
MBDA went down to a disappointing 3-0 defeat against relegated Royston 3rds in their final game this season.