Denny day joy for bowlers
Riverain Indoor Bowls Club were victorious in the Denny Cup on Saturday. They beat Harpenden by 25 shots (86-61) in the home and away competition. Home rinks: Matt Coppin, Tom Cawdell, Graham Albone, Jimmy Allen won 28-13; Roger Davies, Alan Warren, Mick
Riverain Indoor Bowls Club were victorious in the Denny Cup on Saturday.
They beat Harpenden by 25 shots (86-61) in the home and away competition.
Home rinks: Matt Coppin, Tom Cawdell, Graham Albone, Jimmy Allen won 28-13; Roger Davies, Alan Warren, Mick Cave, Darren Hickin lost 9-23.
Away rinks: Brian Leadley, Raymond Smith, Ian Perton, Martin Brackley won 20-15; Mick Allen, Jimmy McIntyre, G McLaren, Tony Webb won 29-10.
There was also a club friendly between the members of the indoor and outdoor bowls sections of Riverain.
The outdoors section won by 47 shots (169-122).
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 5 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 6 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 7 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
Skips names only (indoors followed by outdoors scores): Joan Papworth 14 Roger Shinner 23; Ron Lock 11 Bert Rolf 28; Sam Skinner 16 Roy Clay 16, Pat Clark 24 Roy Else 13; Don Edwards 18 Aileen Weaver 22; John Gee 11 Denny D'Cruz 20; Bert Saich 18 Brian Mills 18; Jim Baird 10 Jean Hayward 29.
Riverain suffered a double defeat in the ladies' county league over the weekend.
The rinks skipped by Yvonne Hull and Gill Walker lost to Herts Ladies by 10 shots on Saturday. And the rinks skipped by Walker and Barbara Eddington lost to Watford IBC by 12 shots at Riverain 24 hours later.
Sunday's friendly against Bletchley saw Riverain win by 12 shots (121-109). Skips only: Doug Major won 23-12; Sam Skinner lost 11-19; Andrew Greenall won 24-14; Mick Judd lost 12-19; Bernie Drummond won 25-24; Brian Mills won 26-21.
* Bowlers representing Stevenage Nomads went to Potters Leisure Resort.
Fielding eight rinks in all, they played over three days and in spite of some extremely good opposition, two rinks won their section to get through to the last 16.
They were unable to progress further but everyone looks forward to returning next year.
On Sunday, Nomads fielded eight rinks at St Neots and won overall by two shots (163-161).
The top winning rink (30-11) was June Clay, John Goddard, Beryl D'Arcy and Ron Lock.
* Herts IBA won by 52 shots (184-132) against Norfolk at Riverain IBC last Tuesday.
They won on seven of the eight rinks.
The Riverain pair of Terry Saunders and Mick Cave were part of the top winning rink (28-12).
The Courtenay Cup league match against Bedfordshire IBA planned for this week was cancelled as their opponents could not raise a team!