Deadline Day: Stevenage’s first £1m sale Ben Wilmot leaves Premier League Watford on loan to Udinese
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Stevenage’s first £1m sale, Ben Wilmot has left Watford to join Italian side Udinesese on loan to the end of the season as predicted by CometSport.
The centre-back began his career at Broadhall Way coming through the club’s highly-rated academy system before being blooded in the first team last season under former boss Darren Sarll.
Sarll handed the talented teenager his debut against Milton Keynes in the Checkatrade Trophy in October 2017 before the Premier League Hornets paid a seven figure sum to land him on a five-year deal last summer.
The 19-year-old has made six appearances for Watford this season, starting four cup games and coming off the bench in two Premier League matches.
Wilmot, who has represented England at youth level, was a second-half substitute in Watford’s last league outing in the 2-1 defeat to Tottenham at Wembley on Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
His loan move makes him the third Watford player to join sister club Udinese in the January transfer window, with both clubs owned by the Pozzo family.
The highly-rated Sarll has been suspended by the Vicarage Road outfit pending allegations of bullying.
- 1 Have you seen wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 2 Walk-through coronavirus test site opens in Stevenage
- 3 Elderly queue in cold as mass vaccine centre opens its doors in Stevenage
- 4 Flooding closes part of major road in Stevenage
- 5 Damage caused to Stevenage salon during burglary
- 6 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 8 'We're breaking' - Lister Hospital staff 'tearful' and 'on their knees' as COVID cases double
- 9 100-year-old woman regains strength with Stop Falls campaign
- 10 Council warns of 'extremely high infection rate' in Stevenage ward
Follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29