Deadline Day: Highly-rated Northern Ireland international Ben Kennedy leaves Stevenage to join Newport on loan
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Ben Kennedy has left Stevenage for Newport on loan until the end of this season it hasa been revealed.
The highly-rated Northern Irish U21 international joined the Exiles with only hours remaining of the January transfer window.
The 22-year-old made 146 appearances scoring 31 goals for Boro since breaking through from the academy five years ago.
There has been no official comment from Boro boss Dino Maamria although chairman Phil Wallace said: “Ben has got another year left on his contract but made it clear he wanted a move away.
“He has been with us since he was 16 years old, coming to us from Northern Ireland and he wants to move on next season to further his career.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a loan deal at his specific request until the end of the season, which we have reluctantly agreed to. We could have stood him down but he has given us great service over the last six years and so we will see how things look again at the end of the season.”
Stevenage CEO Alex Tunbridge spent a successful 18 months at Rodney Parade in a similar position prior to being headhunted by Wallace this summer to rejoin the club he supported as a youngster.
- 1 Man dies after falling ill in town centre
- 2 Bomb squad called after suspected grenade found in Hitchin
- 3 Pedestrians 'dicing with death' on new zebra crossing
- 4 Stevenage Borough Council: Labour maintains council control, Mayor loses seat and party leader reactions
- 5 Road closed as emergency services attend crash in Stevenage
- 6 Full list of Stevenage results for Local Elections 2021
- 7 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 8 Couple appeals to public to help find missing pension money
- 9 What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, May 17?
- 10 County council elections round-up for Stevenage and North Herts
Follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29