Darran Hay's Column: Time to make changes
There is no doubt about it – last Saturday was a huge embarrassment for myself, my colleagues in the management team and for our players. It was also extremely distressing for our supporters and the people who run the club. With the greatest respect to Ra
There is no doubt about it - last Saturday was a huge embarrassment for myself, my colleagues in the management team and for our players.
It was also extremely distressing for our supporters and the people who run the club.
With the greatest respect to Ramsgate, we were not beaten by a particularly good side - we could not get the basics right and as a result, changes will have to be made at Top Field.
Immediately after losing to Ramsgate, myself, Rob Kleiser and Charlie Williams started to discuss what we need to step up a gear and turn our season around.
You may also want to watch:
We have been patient this season and have been waiting for our performances to spark off but it hasn't quite happened and in the past few weeks, we have been very disappointed with what we've seen.
Our defeat at Stourbridge was a poor afternoon and we all saw last weekend that we need to put in a lot of hard work to get our season on track once more.
- 1 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 2 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 6 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 7 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 8 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 9 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
We've been looking at players all week and I hope by the time we run out at Mangotsfield this Saturday, we will have some new players on board, including some that will arrive from Football League clubs.
There will be some players leaving - we have already released Lee Wilson and Marlon Campbell, both of whom were unable to commit themselves to the club. Others will also be leaving as we look at other options.
In the coming weeks, we will also have Ieuan Lewis back after his operation and from my point of view, we can't get him back too soon. It will be like making a major new signing!
We need a positive response from the players that stay at the club - they know that we cannot afford another sub-standard performance like the one we witnessed against Ramsgate.
The players need to show me they have the desire to be part of what we are trying to build at Hitchin.
We will need everyone to have the right attitude in the coming weeks as we face a tough month. November will help to shape our season - we have to make sure it is the right shape.