Damp squib for Letchworth
Letchworth had a nasty shock at Division Two Rickmansworth in a warm-up game in preparation for their Saracens Herts Cricket League campaign. Batting first on a damp wicket, their supposedly powerful batting line-up put up a dismal display to fold to 83 a
Letchworth had a nasty shock at Division Two Rickmansworth in a warm-up game in preparation for their Saracens Herts Cricket League campaign.
Batting first on a damp wicket, their supposedly powerful batting line-up put up a dismal display to fold to 83 all out. Only South African Seb Franke-Mattecke, who hit two big sixes in his 29, and late addition Darren Curry, who showed up his seniors with a solid unbeaten 21, reached 20.
The home side passed Letchworth's meagre total for the loss of two wickets, one each to Andy Newland and Franke-Mattecke.
All the other three sides had comfortable victories.
You may also want to watch:
Second XI skipper Simon Elliott led from the front with 133 out of his side's 268-4 against Watton-at-Stone.
He received good support from Richard Gillham (31no), Graham Bishton (31) and Tom Simmons (23) before Bishton's leg breaks (5-37) helped dismiss the visitors for 192.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 4 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 8 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 9 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 10 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
The third XI won a low-scoring game against Hertford at Fairfield, scoring 116 before bowling out the visitors for 94 with veteran Colin Croucher taking 5-20 off 20 overs.
The fourth XI bowled Sawbridgeworth out for 111 with Adam Furness taking 4-21 and good knocks by Chris Hughes (42no) and Jerry Gillham (34) gave them a comfortable seven-wicket victory.
The first XI have a tough call this Sunday at Bishop's Stortford in the National Cockspur Cup.
* Hitchin won another friendly at Lucas Lane, winning by three wickets in a 45-over game against Flitwick.
Flitwick won the toss and elected to bat first and they were 212 all out from 41 overs, Ian Bowyer and Andrew Evans taking three wickets apiece and Simon Bayston and Will Pugh two. In reply, Hitchin reached their target with five balls to spare thanks to 61 from Jimmy Lewis and 47 from Bowyer.
This Sunday they travel to Southgate in the first round of the National Cockspur Cup.