Club champions are honoured
Champions were honoured at the Fairlands Valley Spartans running club annual presentation evening and dinner in Stevenage on Friday. Andy Bramall, Mel Boyd, Jim Brown and Chris King were the respective club champions. More than 150 Spartans took part in t
Champions were honoured at the Fairlands Valley Spartans running club annual presentation evening and dinner in Stevenage on Friday.
Andy Bramall, Mel Boyd, Jim Brown and Chris King were the respective club champions.
More than 150 Spartans took part in the 2005 club championships - 51 in women's short distance events, 33 in women's long distance events, 98 in men's short distance events and 77 in long distance events.
Competition in the men's short distance was fierce with Bramall winning from Brown and Declan Clynes.
Boyd led the women followed by King and club coach Tessa Stephenson.
The short distance events were over 1500m, 5k, five miles and 10k.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 7 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 8 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 10 Letchworth Outdoor Pool suffers two break-ins ahead of opening
King's win in the Calvia Marathon helped put her in top slot in the women's long distance event. Club secretary Frances Ridgway was second and Sharon Crowley third.
Brown won the men's competition, Clynes was second and Graham Blackburn third.
That man Brown was declared as the overall club champ, while King was the leading lady and also won the most improved woman award. Mark Freeman was the most improved man.
Counting events for the long distance championship were 10 miles, half marathon, 20 miles and full marathon.
Paul Holgate won the prestigious Spartan of the Year award. He spends hours each week keeping results, personal bests and training programmes up to date.
The presentations were made to:
The Comet Sportsman of the year: Roger Biggs.
Bryan Moore Shield (10 Mile Handicap): Nikki Nation.
Short Distance Championship, men's: 1 - Andy Bramall, 2 - Jim Brown, 3 - Declan Clynes.
Short Distance Championship, ladies': 1 - Mel Boyd, 2 - Chris King, 3 - Tessa Stephenson.
Long Distance Championship, men's: 1 - Jim Brown, 2 - Declan Clynes, 3 - Graham Blackburn.
Long Distance Championship, ladies': 1 - Chris King, 2 - Frances Ridgway, 3 - Sharon Crowley.
Most Improved Male: Mark Freeman.
Most Improved Female: Chris King.
Photo Of The Year: Carol Paul.
Captain's Award: Sharon Crowley.
Chair's Award: Rob Shaw.
Overall Champion: Jim Brown.
Spartan of the Year: Paul Holgate.