Stotfold fell just one short of double figures as they blitzed Cranfield United in the first round of the North Beds Charity Cup on Tuesday night. The dismissal of Cranfield s Vasco Diaz, 10 minutes into the game, ruined the tie as a contest. After taking
Stotfold fell just one short of double figures as they blitzed Cranfield United in the first round of the North Beds Charity Cup on Tuesday night.
The dismissal of Cranfield's Vasco Diaz, 10 minutes into the game, ruined the tie as a contest. After taking exception to Ricky Case's challenge, Diaz decided to keep pushing the Stotfold player until the referee had no other option but give him his marching orders.
It took Stotfold until the 32nd minute to finally score after Adrian Hemmel crossed from the right for Ian Thorne to volley in.
A good low strike from the edge of the box by Louis Lee found keeper Dan Rogers flat footed for the second three minutes later.
Lee Downham sidefooted in the third at the far post after Thorne's cross from the right, and Thorne provided the ball forward for the fourth allowing Bobby Dance to slip in on 43 minutes.
The second half saw no let up in the pressure as Simon Drury fired through a crowded box on 55 minutes.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 9 A brief history of Fairfield: One of Bedfordshire's newest towns
- 10 Our Bedfordshire villages: 'Rural reporting has been my greatest pleasure'
Ryan Nichol struck low from the edge of the box on the hour and Dance got himself a second with a long range effort on 72 minutes.
A neat flick over the defence from Dance allowed Adrian Hemmel to fire in on 79 minutes after his first shot was blocked by the keeper.
Sub Darren Pommeroy got the last one of the evening by volleying in Joe Philbin's cross from the left.
Stotfold are away to the winners of the Potton/Arlesey Athletic tie in the next round.
Rokermen: Blower, Hull, Downham, Drury (Philbin), Case (Donnelly), Nichol, Lee (Pommeroy), Thorne, Dance, Hemmel.