Stotfold fell just one short of double figures as they blitzed Cranfield United in the first round of the North Beds Charity Cup on Tuesday night. The dismissal of Cranfield s Vasco Diaz, 10 minutes into the game, ruined the tie as a contest. After taking
Stotfold fell just one short of double figures as they blitzed Cranfield United in the first round of the North Beds Charity Cup on Tuesday night.
The dismissal of Cranfield's Vasco Diaz, 10 minutes into the game, ruined the tie as a contest. After taking exception to Ricky Case's challenge, Diaz decided to keep pushing the Stotfold player until the referee had no other option but give him his marching orders.
It took Stotfold until the 32nd minute to finally score after Adrian Hemmel crossed from the right for Ian Thorne to volley in.
A good low strike from the edge of the box by Louis Lee found keeper Dan Rogers flat footed for the second three minutes later.
Lee Downham sidefooted in the third at the far post after Thorne's cross from the right, and Thorne provided the ball forward for the fourth allowing Bobby Dance to slip in on 43 minutes.
The second half saw no let up in the pressure as Simon Drury fired through a crowded box on 55 minutes.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Have your say on TK Maxx plans to move store out of town centre
- 3 Sex offender avoids jail 'by skin of his teeth' after Hitchin assault
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 6 Stevenage's own Lewis Hamilton grabs third in British GP
- 7 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 8 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
Ryan Nichol struck low from the edge of the box on the hour and Dance got himself a second with a long range effort on 72 minutes.
A neat flick over the defence from Dance allowed Adrian Hemmel to fire in on 79 minutes after his first shot was blocked by the keeper.
Sub Darren Pommeroy got the last one of the evening by volleying in Joe Philbin's cross from the left.
Stotfold are away to the winners of the Potton/Arlesey Athletic tie in the next round.
Rokermen: Blower, Hull, Downham, Drury (Philbin), Case (Donnelly), Nichol, Lee (Pommeroy), Thorne, Dance, Hemmel.