Carl Williams appointed assistant manager
HITCHIN Town legend and current club captain Carl Williams has been appointed as the new assistant manager of the BGB (Southern) League club. Williams, who is 31 and has made almost 400 appearances in three spells at the club, takes up the position left v
HITCHIN Town legend and current club captain Carl Williams has been appointed as the new assistant manager of the BGB (Southern) League club.
Williams, who is 31 and has made almost 400 appearances in three spells at the club, takes up the position left vacant by Mick Brooks last month.
Speaking about the new appointment, manager Darran Hay told the club's website: "Charlie is the senior member of the squad, is widely respected and is an honest player who always holds his hands up when he needs to.
"His role has been growing for the past few weeks and he has helped to look at players and work with myself and Rob Keiser (The Canaries' first team coach) to identify where we need to strengthen our team."
You may also want to watch:
Williams' new role is the latest in a series of changes of personnel at the club in recent weeks as part of Hay's purge at Top Field.
Seven players have left the club in the past ten days, the latest of which was Luke Gregson who was released on Monday.
- 1 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 2 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 3 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 4 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 5 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 10 Praise for hat-trick hero Codi Lee-Spavins from delighted Stotfold boss