Canoe Club take part in slalom competition
PADDLERS from Baldock and District Canoe Club were at the national divisions three and four canoe slalom competition. It was organised by the Proteus Canoe Club at Orton Mere, Peterborough. Saturday saw Stotfold s Michelle Grudzinski compete in the Nation
PADDLERS from Baldock and District Canoe Club were at the national divisions three and four canoe slalom competition.
It was organised by the Proteus Canoe Club at Orton Mere, Peterborough.
Saturday saw Stotfold's Michelle Grudzinski compete in the National Division Three C1 (single canoe) event.
While her first run was cautious but steady, the second run showed more confidence and a faster time, with only two penalties, taking the winner's trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Carmel Buttimer teamed up with Michelle in the National Division Three C2 (double canoe) competition and beat the rest of the field in both of their runs to yet another victory.
Alistair Riches, taking part in his first slalom competition, entered the National Division Four K1 (single kayak) men's event.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
While a more confident second run saw him knock 25 seconds off his first run time, he was unfortunately knocked down to fifth by strong competition.
Sunday saw Michelle, Carmel and Alistair joined by junior members, Emma and Jason Clarke.
In her first competition, Emma not only entered the National Division Four K1 ladies' event - she won it!
Jason, paddling on moving water for the first time, fought hard to win the Junior 14 title in the Men's National Division Four event.
Within a much larger field of entrants, Riches showed great determination to come third in the National Division Four K1 competition, taking the title of top divisional veteran and also being promoted into National Division Three.
Aileen Wilson joined Michelle in the C2 boat for the first time as a team to compete in the National Division Four C2 event and came a comfortable third.
Following on from Saturday, Michelle came second in the National Division Three C1 competition, and Carmel and Michelle came fourth in the National Division Three C2 event.
The weekend also saw two of the club's canoe polo teams in the National Canoe Polo League play-offs in Liverpool.